Hello From Somewhere In Surrey!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

No idea...

That's the problem. People are advising me that I need bacteria in my tank/filter to balance out the ammonia/pH, etc doodah - but when it comes to what species of bacteria, I couldn't tell you.

No-one at the aquarium shop told me about 'cycling' or how important it is to cycle the tank or even what 'cycling' is. I was just told to leave the tank for a week (I left it for two) and add StressZyme to the water.

Obviously, I'm now worried that my fishes are under stress and this stress may even kill them before the tank has cycled naturally.

I read every book I could lay my hands on and not one mentioned 'cycling'. So I'm going to do water changes as often as I can and keep my fingers crossed...

:(

what tank have you got? or what filter is it? if its a juwel tank with a big black filter, then i can give you one of my sponges that has bacteria on it, if you buy me a new one. thats normally how it works, so you get a gelping hand with the cycling and i dont lose out either. becuase i can then put the new sponge in the filter and let that gain bacteria.

I've got a 1' x 3' x 15" tank, 83 litres with an Interpet PF3 filter in it.

If you reckon that your mature filter foam can fit into my filter (or I've also read that squeezing the water out of it does the same thing) I'll gladly buy you a new filter foam, a beer and cover any postage/petrol costs!

That would be MOST helpful!! (And probably save my fishies!!)

:hyper:

well, if i give you a juwel one, a big fat one about 2 inches thick, you can cut it in half and then reshape it so you could get 2 sponges out of it. well im 16 so i dont drive, so that may be an issue but i dont mind helping fellow fish keepers out. if you want to come round and collect it, let me know and it will take it out wash it in tank water and then put it in a bag of tank water for you.

I'll take you up on that offer! Bear with me, I've got to sort out what my (sometimes stupid...) work schedule is like this week and then we can work out a suitable time for me to pop over.

Where do you get your filter foams from? Is there a specific model/part number?

:good:

get them from a lfs. it is a Filter Sponge Coarse Compact. made by Juwel!! it will be the 88050. big fat blue thing. (make a note of it!)

get them from a lfs. it is a Filter Sponge Coarse Compact. made by Juwel!! it will be the 88050. big fat blue thing. (make a note of it!)
Hee!!

Will do!!

OK, I'm off homewards, I'll PM you when I know what's what work-wise and we can arrange a time/day for a swap! Once again, THANK YOU!!!!!

thats ok, glad i can help. hopefully we can have deals in the future! x

Argh!!

I found out late yesterday that I've got to work both Saturday and Sunday if I'm to clear my schedule. Urgh...

:sick:

As they say in the movies: Watch This Space...

ok, just pm me in the near future and we will work something out.

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay and read the rules!

Welcome to the forums

Thank you! Glad to be here!!

enjoy your stay

Definitely!!! I think I've found another new home-from-home - and my fishies are gonna be a lot healthier and happier for it!! *

* I ain't jokin' here either - I've been given either wrong, bad or no advice from fish stockists about 'Fish Keeping for Beginners'... Consequently, I've got some pretty poorly piscines at the mo...

and read the rules!

Read the rules? Read the rules?? Blimey... What's the world coming to?

(Hee!! Just kidding! I'm a mod at A Well-Known Rock Band's official forum, so - hoooooooooo boy! - I know all about rules and readin' 'em!!)

Most reactions

Back