Hello! Aquatic Newcomer here

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Hi welcome.
I had clown loaches myself in an even smaller tank back in the 90s. My excuse was I didnā€™t know how big they grew. The guy in the LFS did and he sold me the tank they were put into. I ended up giving them away and eventually closing down my tank in despair. Took me til this year to get back into it.
All the knowledge and advice required for a happy succesful tank is available both here and on Seriouslyfish.com have a look itā€™ll help you make the choices your fish need you to make.
Dont worry weā€™ve all been through it. Best of luck.

Hi welcome.
I had clown loaches myself in an even smaller tank back in the 90s. My excuse was I didnā€™t know how big they grew. The guy in the LFS did and he sold me the tank they were put into. I ended up giving them away and eventually closing down my tank in despair. Took me til this year to get back into it.
All the knowledge and advice required for a happy succesful tank is available both here and on Seriouslyfish.com have a look itā€™ll help you make the choices your fish need you to make.
Dont worry weā€™ve all been through it. Best of luck.
I'm so sorry you went through that, and that it drove you away from the hobby :( This is what I don't get about LFS who should know better, giving bad advice. I don't blame the employees in big box stores so much. Most of them probably don't keep fish, and they have to repeat the 'care guides' that the store gives to them. But LFS's are usually ran by the owner, who is usually a hobbyist. Selling a newcomer to the hobby a small tank and large fish - you just know he knew better than that, but didn't care. It was your problem once you'd walked out the door. But it doesn't encourage repeat business when you give terrible advice and drive people out of the hobby altogether! So frustrating, and I hate that you went through that, I know you must have got attached to them.

@LewKeat96, I've made my own mistakes too. I was told to get otocinclus to go with my guppies, and I researched! Learned all about what they eat, how big they get, that they need a group etc. But I didn't find out that they need soft water, while my water is pretty hard. I was blissfully unaware and they seemed to be thriving in my tank for almost nine months before I joined the forum, I thought I was doing great with them, they have a reputation for being delicate. But a soft water fish living in hard water gets minerals building up in their internal organs. The damage being done was something I couldn't see. I'm in the process of setting up a soft water tank now for them, but it's likely already shortened their lifespans. So even with a ton of research, it's so easy to get it wrong, and there is so much misinformation out there. Always good to check out a variety of sources and learn as much as you can about a specific species long before you buy it. Just to let you know that you're not alone, so many people are in your shoes too, and you're doing a lot of things right! You obviously care and want to learn, and the tank looks beautiful, and will make a wonderful home to some fish, with some guidance on stocking. :)

Welcome to TFF! :fish::hi::fish:
Your stocking issues have already been addressed, so I just wanted to say that it's great that you are willing to learn and change your set up for your fish.

Most reactions

Back