Heating to 82 degrees on lowest setting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Biglog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 200W heater that came with my 29 gallon tank and even with the dial turned all the way to the right it’s keeping my tank around 82. I unplugged it for a couple of hours today with the lights on to make sure it wasn’t that and the temperature fell to about 79 before I plugged it back in. I can’t find anything online about this heater. Any ideas of what’s going on?

Attachments

• 4D578B67-3B97-4835-9CBB-20EAB3966A8D.jpeg
    4D578B67-3B97-4835-9CBB-20EAB3966A8D.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 52
I would say faulty heater, i would contact the store or manufacture perhaps a recall that got missed or a warranty you can claim. I have a 200w in one of my 30gallons and its steady at 73. So I don't think it's because of the heaters watts. Since the temp fell when you turned it off that rules out your ambient temp, leaves the heater as the cause I would say

It does look pretty old... maybe look into getting a new heater? They are relatively inexpensive.

Are you sure that 'all the way to the right' isn't the max temperature setting? On most of my heaters, left is low, right is higher.

Are you sure that 'all the way to the right' isn't the max temperature setting? On most of my heaters, left is low, right is higher.
I've found this to be the case as well. Try turning it towards the middle. If it stays on after that, it's broken.

Faulty heaters are no joke. I got zapped grabbing a plastic plant floater off the top of the water a year ago - it was right by the heater and I can't believe my fish were ok. My hand went numb, thought I was having a stroke until I figured it out. We all lucked out!

I would turn it down. I have several heaters that I had to play with to get correct temp. They say 5 watts per gallon for tanks up to 30G so you would need a 150G heater.

The label under it has the “-“ on that side but I’ll try turning it the other way and sit there and watch the thermometer

Now that I think about it left is low on all of mine also haha, I hope this is the case and you get to save some money and spend it on a new fish instead ?

To me 82f is ok it’s what I keep my tank on anyway

It's a 200 watt heater in a small tank in a warm room.

Depending on what fish you keep, 79F is probably fine and you might not need the heater unless it gets cold.

It's a 200 watt heater in a small tank in a warm room.

Depending on what fish you keep, 79F is probably fine and you might not need the heater unless it gets cold.
The room temp is ~72F which is why I was so confused

Take the heater back and swap it for another one. If the same thing happens with the replacement heater, try a different brand.

I thought some of my fish were doing a bit of huffing and puffing. The water was over 80f. Since that room stays warm and its now mild weather,I just unplugged the heater and found that the submerged magnetic pump was keeping the water in the 76f range alone. Why pay an extra heating bill?..74-77 mid range is good enough and is better for plants like the various mosses and ferns used in aquaria.
Rainbows and Danios don't want very warm water. Discus? ok...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back