Heating Small Tubs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tommy_vercetti

Reaction score
Hi,

I've kept fish most of my life, but recently started getting interested in Killis. It seems that fry are best raised in small plastic tubs.

What is the best way to control the temperature in small containers?

Thanks,
Stefan

Either to heat the space they are in (room, etc) or to float them in water and heat that water.. if you're planning to use lights, be careful as those can easily overheat small containers!

Would standing the tubs on heat mats (the kind sold for reptiles) work?

Would standing the tubs on heat mats (the kind sold for reptiles) work?
Usually no because the cheap ones will heat non-stop, and the ones with thermostats are about as expensive as aquarium heaters, if I remember correctly.

You could employ many different approaches to control the temperature of your fry rearing tubs.
The most common is the simplest... float the tubs in an aquarium or dedicated heated vat.
Picture750.jpg

Regards
C

You could employ many different approaches to control the temperature of your fry rearing tubs.
The most common is the simplest... float the tubs in an aquarium or dedicated heated vat.
Picture750.jpg

Regards
C

Thanks C! The picture really helps!
You really are the Killi-man!!!
Stefan

You really are the Killi-man!!!
Just one of many..I do what I can to help.
Glad the image gave you a better idea of the subject matter.
Thanks for posting
Regards
C

Well if you want to get a bit complicated and if you have the supplies you can: run small air tubing to each of the containers to a larger container or small tank and pumped through with a powerhead and through filter media. and put the heater in the tank and run more tube from the containers to the tank so they dont overflow, that would be extremely effective but a little hard to do... If your interested i can make a diagram of how to set it up :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back