Heating A Tank With Fry In

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

orangefish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 15L tank with guppy fry in at the moment. It doesn't have a filter as the sucktion is too much for the fry, but I do regular water changes instead. It doesn't have a heater either as the water is kept at rooom temperature which is around 20-22'C approx. About a week ago I found 5 platy fry in my tank which I put in this fry tank, but I know it is too cold for them. I found 1 of the platy fry dead today.
My question is, if I bought a 'Newattino 10W' heater that automatically heated the fry tank to 26'C, would it be ok to have the existing guppy and platy fry in this as I was wondering if it would shock their systems with the change in temperature? Thanks

I am only a newbi my self !

But i think you will find if you put the heater in and raise the temp slowly you will be fine. Just dont stick the heater in and set to 26 as prob would shock them. I currently have a 100watt heater in my fry tank and that working out great for me at the moment

You'll be fine just sticking the heater straight in.

However I would hazard a guess that they platy fry died due to ammonia levels, not cold water. You should definitely consider trying them with a sponge filter seeded from your main tank.

Have you been testing the fry tanks stats? Or just guesstimating keeping the levels down with water changes?

Ok thanks for your help. The only problem is the 'Newattino' has a preset 26'C, so I can't gradually raise the temperature :/

Yes it probably is ammonia levels to be honest, although I try and do water changes every 3 days. What exactly is a sponge filter? I have a small filter that came with the tank, but because it is tall rather than long, it means that it is difficult for them to swim out of the current and they just fly everywhere! I haven't really been testing, just estimating and trying to keep to a routine. Thanks

What kind of filter is it?
If youre worried about them getting sucked in you could just go get a cheap car sponge and cut a hole in it and stick the "tube" in it,.,,,, you could probably do the same for the flow coming out........

thesponge.jpg

withholes.jpg

Thanks. I will put a sponge in front of it to stop them getting sucked in- how do you attatch the sponge to the filter? I'm more worried about them being pushed everywhere in the tank, as they didn't seem to be able to swim against the current from the outlet of the filter. Will they be ok? The filter is an ELITE MINI A-130.

I've turned the filter on with the mature media, and found a green nozzle on the side which seems to alternate the flow on the filter- so I've reduced it to as low as possible. Do you think this will be alright for them? Thanks

Thanks. I will put a sponge in front of it to stop them getting sucked in- how do you attatch the sponge to the filter? I'm more worried about them being pushed everywhere in the tank, as they didn't seem to be able to swim against the current from the outlet of the filter. Will they be ok? The filter is an ELITE MINI A-130.

I've turned the filter on with the mature media, and found a green nozzle on the side which seems to alternate the flow on the filter- so I've reduced it to as low as possible. Do you think this will be alright for them? Thanks
Useful trick I learnt on this forum. Put filter inside a nylon ladies stocking held in place with a rubber band to prevent fry being sucked into it. Works even with newborn guppies. Also if you position your filter outlet just above the surface it will reduce the current and also help oxygfenate the water by forming bubbles. I do this in all my tankseven with adults

Useful trick I learnt on this forum. Put filter inside a nylon ladies stocking held in place with a rubber band to prevent fry being sucked into it. Works even with newborn guppies. Also if you position your filter outlet just above the surface it will reduce the current and also help oxygfenate the water by forming bubbles. I do this in all my tankseven with adults

Ok thanks, i might try that!

Most reactions

trending

Back