Heater suggestions?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EllRog

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Was thinking to upgrade the heaters in my tanks as they're just generic cheap ones so my question is..
Is it worth 'upgrading' the heaters to more expensive ones? Is there any real benefit for it?
And if so..
What heaters are you guys using?

I've not had any problems with using the generic cheap ones, I just thought maybe upgrading the heater and investing in digital thermometers may give me a more accurate temperature reading and improve the happiness of my fish.
Cheers!

I had nothing but trouble with cheap heaters - all from china - half arrived Celcius and the other half Farenheit - the thermometers were always off by as much as 10 degrees F, I started buying this one on Amazon:

hygger Titanium Aquarium Heater for Salt Water and Fresh Water, Digital Submersible Heater with External IC Thermostat Controller and Thermometer,

Mine ran about $60 for a 55 gallon tank, less for smaller tanks. What is cool is that the thermometer plugs into the heater and displays the readout in a box on the outside of the tank. It's supposed to hang on with a suction cup but that hasn't worked well. You have to play around with setting the temp to Cor F - and the raising or lowering the temperature. Press the middle button twice when you're done and it will run the temperature to the setting you have it set with. A bit of a monster but that's OK. One thing I've noticed is that each time you unplug it you have to reset the temperature you want it to be or it will go back to the default temperature. Is far more accurate than anything else I've purchased. There is a similar one about $10 less but it doesn't have the bells and whisles but once you have the hang of using it - it may be the better deal for you. I won't buy any other brand.

I had nothing but trouble with cheap heaters - all from china - half arrived Celcius and the other half Farenheit - the thermometers were always off by as much as 10 degrees F, I started buying this one on Amazon:

hygger Titanium Aquarium Heater for Salt Water and Fresh Water, Digital Submersible Heater with External IC Thermostat Controller and Thermometer,

Mine ran about $60 for a 55 gallon tank, less for smaller tanks. What is cool is that the thermometer plugs into the heater and displays the readout in a box on the outside of the tank. It's supposed to hang on with a suction cup but that hasn't worked well. You have to play around with setting the temp to Cor F - and the raising or lowering the temperature. Press the middle button twice when you're done and it will run the temperature to the setting you have it set with. A bit of a monster but that's OK. One thing I've noticed is that each time you unplug it you have to reset the temperature you want it to be or it will go back to the default temperature. Is far more accurate than anything else I've purchased. There is a similar one about $10 less but it doesn't have the bells and whisles but once you have the hang of using it - it may be the better deal for you. I won't buy any other brand.
Thanks for your reply, I'll give that a look!

I'd suggest getting Eheim Jager, look for UK plug and it will come in Celsius. Its easy to callibrate too and is fully submersible.

I use Eheim Jager heaters as well. If you buy them from a 'real' shop or a reputable UK seller they should have the UK plug - though that is just a clip on plug to convert it to fit UK sockets.

I use Tetra heater, Aquen heaters, and InterPet heaters.

Out of all of those, I find that the InterPet heater is the best. Its really good quality, for the price. (I got my 29g heater for $15-$20. Not bad.)

I use Tetra heater, Aquen heaters, and InterPet heaters.

Out of all of those, I find that the InterPet heater is the best. Its really good quality, for the price. (I got my 29g heater for $15-$20. Not bad.)
Brand Interpet is also in the UK... That's what my brain can't comprehend right now... :lol:

There are lots of companies that sell to lots of countries. Look at API and Seachem for chemicals. Isn't AquaOne Australian? And I know Aquael is a Polish company. Eheim and Juwel are German but Eheim products are available in the US, I think.

Most reactions

Back