Heater reccomendations

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

jackhorn01

Reaction score

Thinking of getting this one to replace my current submersible as it is not adjustable and i believe getting the water slightly too warm. Is this a good one or is there better for the price? Donā€™t mind spending a little bit more.
AquaMiracle Adjustable 50W Aquarium Heater Submersible Fish Tank Heater Super Short Aquarium Heater with LED Digital Display Thermostat, for Tanks 5-10 Gallons

AquaMiracle Adjustable 50W Aquarium Heater Submersible Fish Tank Heater Super Short Aquarium Heater with LED Digital Display Thermostat, for Tanks 5-10 Gallons.

Thinking of getting this one to replace my current submersible as it is not adjustable and i believe getting the water slightly too warm. Is this a good one or is there better for the price? Donā€™t mind spending a little bit more.
AquaMiracle Adjustable 50W Aquarium Heater Submersible Fish Tank Heater Super Short Aquarium Heater with LED Digital Display Thermostat, for Tanks 5-10 Gallons

AquaMiracle Adjustable 50W Aquarium Heater Submersible Fish Tank Heater Super Short Aquarium Heater with LED Digital Display Thermostat, for Tanks 5-10 Gallons.
Iā€™m using the Fluval M50 itā€™s decent but I know some people say the heater isnā€™t good another heater that I donā€™t personally own yet is the Eheim Jager Heater also heard good things about it.

You need to use s reliable thermometer to double check your heater setting.

Yeah im going to order one recommended in another thread. My current heater isnt even adjustable. Just plug it in and it does what it does.

You should buy a thermometer too.
Thats what I meant in the last comment. I shoulda been more specific. I have one of the stick on ones on the outside of the tank. Dont know how much I trust it. Still deciding on the heater. I did some reading but now wanted recommendations on ones some of you guys have tried.

What size is your tank? What is your desired water temperature and what is the coldest room temperature the tank will experience?

I have a heater that displays the temp in my 10 gallon. I've come to realize that the temperature display really takes away from the tank presentation.

I have come to believe that there is no such thing as a reliable brand tank heater. Every brand I have tried I have experienced some failures with and in two cases a heater stuck full on and wiped out a lot of fish. In the tank that went to 104F the L450s had hunkered down in caves and lived and actually spawned a few weeks later. In the second incident the tank hit 120F and wiped out 10 breeding RB line 236 and about 25 of their fry. Fortunately, I had another 45 offspring from which I put together another breeding group.

The result of these fiascos drove me to buy heater controllers for any of my tanks with very expensive fish in them. Also those two incidents above involved different brands of heaters. Most of the failure tend to be the heater stops worked. The next most common issue is they get inaccurate. This is a thermostat issue rather than the heating unit failing and it can happen in either direction- too warm or too cool.

Of all the heaters brands I have owned the one I favor is the Hydor inline heater. I have them on the three tanks where I use canister filters. It took almost 20 years for the first one to fail. I had a replacement on the shelf for years.:)

edited for typos and spelling

Last edited:
I have come to believe that there is no such thing as a reliable brand tank heater. Every brand i have tried I have experienced some failures with and in two cases a heater stuck full on and wiped out a lot of fish. In the tank that went to 104F the L450s had hundered down in caves and lived and acctually spawned a few weeks later. In the second incident the tank hit 120F and wiped out 10 breeding RB line 236 and about 25 of their fry. Fortunately, I had another 45 offspring from which I put together another breeding group.

The result of these fiascos drove me to buy heater controllers for any of my tanks with very expensive fish in them. Also those two incidents above involved different brands of heaters. Most of the failure tend to be the heater stops worked. The next most common issue is they get inaccurate. This is a thermostat issue rather than the heating unit failing and it can happen in either direction- too warm or too cool.

Of all the heaters brands I have owned the one I favor is the Hydor inline heater. I have them on the three tanks where I use canister filters. It took almost 20 years for the first one to fail. I had a replacement on the shelf for years.:)
Hence my rule to always have a spare heater on hand.

I almost always have multiple heaters (and filters) for tanks. This mitigates things if one fails. It doesn't help with one getting stuck full on. For that I have the controllers. Of course if the controller fails and lets the heaters stay on, the heaters are set a degree or two higher than the controller so they will still work. But it a controller fails in a way that it refuses to turn on the heaters, I have no backup. *sigh*

I have recently used Ebo Jager 300 watt, Fluval M Series 300 watt, and a Fluval E Series 300 watt.

The most effective of the three is the Ebo Jager, it has a larger diameter tube for more surface area and has kept any tank I have at temperature (we frequently have temperature less than 65F, that's about 12 degree discrepancy). The heater is at least 12 years old, wasn't manufactured correctly, ie the scale is offset from actual by about 30 angular degrees. It is about 25" long further increasing the surface heating areas. I have accidentally run it dry multiple times, melting the plastic suction cups, but it still works. The biggest drawback on this heater is the size, on any shorter tank it has to be placed horizontally

The fluval Series M, is a good heater as well. It has a smaller diameter tube that is easy to hide in the aquarium. I like it, and would buy another if I needed.

The Fluval E series is a piece of poop in my opinion. I had it next to the intake for the largest Aquaclear filter and the heater would start to complain that it wasn't getting enough flow. I recently removed it from my 60 gallon because it couldn't maintain the temperature, going blue all the time. When I put the Ebo in rather than the E300 it again keeps the tank at temp. I don't believe you get 300 watts of power from them, additionally the instructions state they are only good for an 8 degree difference between ambient and tank temperatures.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back