Heater Prob/question

gaz gun man

Fish Addict
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
943
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent, UK
hey guys

how often to heaters give up? I have mine set for 24C but this evening its been climbing, I unplugged it earlier when it got to 25.8C and it dropped to 25C so I've just plugged it back in.

I dont think its my temp gauge as I have a digital one, and one stuck onto the glass, they both read at about the same level.


Anything I can do but keep an eye on it?
I have ordered another temp gauge, and another heater for heating my buckets when I do water changes but that isnt man enough to keep the whole tank warm.

Heater is only about 45 days old.
 
My tanks have been overheating a little the past few days, think it is the weather. I found it was OK to unplug the heater during the day but the temp drops by about 4 degrees overnight, so maybe just plug it in at night? See how you go
 
yeah thanks I will do.


Its been at 25.2C for a while now, maybe unplugging it and plugging it back in gave it the electrical boot in the behind it needed?
 
Heater reliability is down to brand. There are many still running the first lot of Visitherms, and they are over 30years old now. I have had 6 Superfish heaters in the last 6 months, each has failed :no:

Buy a cheap heater and reliability will be an issue. Get a good heater and pay the price, they will cost less in the long run :nod: The heater is turned off by the thermostat after the tank reaches temperature. If the temperature raises after the dial has been set, bottom out the stat. If it switches off, slowly tweak up untill it comes on again, then tweak up/down to the dial to set the temperature right, by the number of degrees that it need correcting by. If it does not switch off, the stat has failed and you need to get a replacement. If it stays on, unplug and scrap. Leaving it in risks electrocution of you and fish, and also risks boiling your fish :sad: The fish will do better in water that is too cold for them, than water that is too hot, or fluctuating wildly in temperature.

All the best
Rabbut
 
Heater reliability is down to brand. There are many still running the first lot of Visitherms, and they are over 30years old now. I have had 6 Superfish heaters in the last 6 months, each has failed :no:

Buy a cheap heater and reliability will be an issue. Get a good heater and pay the price, they will cost less in the long run :nod: The heater is turned off by the thermostat after the tank reaches temperature. If the temperature raises after the dial has been set, bottom out the stat. If it switches off, slowly tweak up untill it comes on again, then tweak up/down to the dial to set the temperature right, by the number of degrees that it need correcting by. If it does not switch off, the stat has failed and you need to get a replacement. If it stays on, unplug and scrap. Leaving it in risks electrocution of you and fish, and also risks boiling your fish :sad: The fish will do better in water that is too cold for them, than water that is too hot, or fluctuating wildly in temperature.

All the best
Rabbut

thanks, The heater is a standard one that came with my fluval roma 125 tank.

I'll keep an eye on the thermometer
 

Most reactions

Back
Top