Heater or No Heater???

faerieswearboots

Reaction score
What tropicals require NO heater?
I'm getting ready to set tp a 2-3 gallon hex tank, that has an underground light and airstone filter, underneath.

I'm guessing I'll be using the smallest filter for inside the tank, but what tropicals, live in an unheated enviornment?

Please advise.
~faerieswearboots :unsure:

Depends on where you live and how high and stable the temp is day in and day out. Tropicals generally like the temp no lower than 74-76 soif the room they will be in is that temp or higher you may be in luck depending on what fish you wish to keep. Here is a link to some fish stats that may help you in your decision. HTH :)

I'm always confused about this heating question.. but here goes! At home my room is pretty warm.. TV + Computer thats on 24/7 keeps my tank at a constant 79 with a heater that I swear doesn't work. Stupid heater light turns on randomly even tho I set it at a completely differnt heat setting! I think it's always off 5 degrees.

But anyways, at work we have a 2.5 gallon hex, no heater and 2 guppies. Simple HOB filter (hang over back) and the thermometer reads from 69 when its sunny outisde and as low as 59-60 at night... I have no idea how these guppies are alive... but they are alive and kicking!!

Here is a link for a filter that should go good with your tank setup!
Small HOB Filter

But hey, just because my guppies are alive I don't know if yours will do so well, I plan on buying a small heater for my work tank soon, feel sorta bad!

heyimeugene said:
But anyways, at work we have a 2.5 gallon hex, no heater and 2 guppies. Simple HOB filter (hang over back) and the thermometer reads from 69 when its sunny outisde and as low as 59-60 at night... I have no idea how these guppies are alive... but they are alive and kicking!!
Hiya,
I think that your success is due to your hardy fish (guppies) which can adapt to very low/high temperatures, though IMO they are more likly to be suseptable to disease like ich due to the sudden variations of almost 10 deg celcius per 24 hour.

I found this site that gave me a great list of Coldwater fish.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/print/nqa2001.htm

I am planning on using this aquarium at work. Here is the description of the actual tank:

The base is black plastic that has a small light in the center, and also has a air filtration, (i'm guessing) that you can hook up airstones to. The actual tank is a hard-plexi-glass hex shaped form, i'm guessing no more than a 3 gallon.
This sits inside the black base, and has another flat grated black piece that sits inside the plexi-glass. This has fake plants attached to it that can be removed, and then the gravel goes on top of this.

My lid is a simple flat black lid, roughly ONLY 1" high,with one small square opening in the top, no partial opening; no light.

So I'm thinking that one of those very small filters, and outside pump will do (which I do have).

I'm questioning this under the base mechinism. Since I've never used an underground filter before, I have no idea what one looks like. Could this be what it is? Instead of just an air filtration system?

Also, since it is plexi-glass, how, could I actually use a heater if there is no way to attach it, & keep the lid on?? Here is a picture of the actual tank I found online: http://www.hometownstores.com/detail.aspx?...65&Affiliate=11

You'd think I was a beginner at this, I have had a 30 gallon and currently keep a 10 gallon tank. This small one has me boggled.

But since it was given to me, I'd like to take advantage of it, I just don't know what would work best.

Any advice would be great!!
Thanks!!
~faerieswearboots

Most reactions

Back