Heater: Is 250w Too Powerful?

bobf

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi folks - like many I've been inspired to change a tank from FW to SW, and at the moment I'm collecting together all the bits and bobs before re-homing the last of the FW residents.

The tank I'm using is 4ft long and is around 200 litres and currently has a pretty ancient 300w heater in place. I thought it was a good idea to get a new one rather than re-use this one on the SW set up (I guess it will do for an emergency anyway).

Had a look around and found online an Jager/Eheim heater (a brand I have a lot of faith in) and bought the 250w heater which was quoted as 'good for up to 600 litres'. On receiving it this morning the box actually states 400 - 600l, and says that for 200l a 150w (200-300l range) heater is appropriate.

My question is should I swop this for the 150w or will the 250w heater be be okay? I'm thinking probably okay as there will be plenty of water movement as I'm going to use 2x SEIO 620s which will give me 4800 LPR (24x turnover).

Learning plenty from the good folks on here and no doubt further questions may arise in due course! :good:

250 would be fine :good:

Keep that old one for emergencies

Most reactions

Back