Heater For A 90 Gallon

erk628

Fish Herder
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Lima Ohio USA
I've had a 90 gallon setting in my garage for awhile giving to me by a friend who had it and a seal broke and he moved so he gave it to me. I resealed it Saturday and right now have it out in the garage filled with water testing it so far so good. Anyways to my question what do you guys think would work best one filter meant for a 90 to 100 gallon which I found one at the LFS which is 400 watts. Or do you think two smaller ones say for a 55 gallon one on each side work better.
 
I've had a 90 gallon setting in my garage for awhile giving to me by a friend who had it and a seal broke and he moved so he gave it to me. I resealed it Saturday and right now have it out in the garage filled with water testing it so far so good. Anyways to my question what do you guys think would work best one filter meant for a 90 to 100 gallon which I found one at the LFS which is 400 watts. Or do you think two smaller ones say for a 55 gallon one on each side work better.

2 heaters > 1
 
I've had a 90 gallon setting in my garage for awhile giving to me by a friend who had it and a seal broke and he moved so he gave it to me. I resealed it Saturday and right now have it out in the garage filled with water testing it so far so good. Anyways to my question what do you guys think would work best one filter meant for a 90 to 100 gallon which I found one at the LFS which is 400 watts. Or do you think two smaller ones say for a 55 gallon one on each side work better.

2 heaters > 1

Do you have reasoning behind that or are you just saying that because 2 is greater then one lol. What a friend told me today that he heard was with a bigger tank like a 90 gallon if you only have 1 heater it can cause hot spots. Meaning one part of the tank probably were the heater is will be warmer then the rest. Which makes since just wondered it there may be other reasons.
 
2 heaters will heat a 4 foot tank more efficiently than 1 large heater. It will save on your energy bill too. I should have explained further. Sorry for that. You are right about the hotspots.
 
2 heaters will heat a 4 foot tank more efficiently than 1 large heater. It will save on your energy bill too. I should have explained further. Sorry for that. You are right about the hotspots.

Thanks for the info :good:
 
i would go for 2x400W( if you can get them) because, there will be less cold spots,and also if one packs in you have the other as back up they can be run at the same time too, great at water change time,if you ensure that you have good "movement" around them then the chances of hotspots are much less ( filter outlet.airstone) i think 2 heaters should be used in anything over about 250L, on such a large tank, does an external heater not appeal to you, that heats the water inside the filter/sump
its up to you tho :)

shelagh xxx
 
i would go for 2x400W( if you can get them) because, there will be less cold spots,and also if one packs in you have the other as back up they can be run at the same time too, great at water change time,if you ensure that you have good "movement" around them then the chances of hotspots are much less ( filter outlet.airstone) i think 2 heaters should be used in anything over about 250L, on such a large tank, does an external heater not appeal to you, that heats the water inside the filter/sump
its up to you tho :)

shelagh xxx

I honestly never heard of external heaters. I did a google search and there about the same price. I do have a canister filter however I also have a hang on filter. So the external heater would only work on the canister filter right? Would I still need another heater on the inside?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top