Headstanding Barbs

lordofthesea

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
swansea wales UK
I noticed that the four gold barbs I put into my community tank have begun to headstand I hear this can be an indicator of nitrite (I don't have a test kit). If this is true do I have to just let the filter catch up with the increased waste or do a water change or anything? My Odessa barbs aren't doing it, nor are any of the others. I introduced a few other new fish with them if that helps your explanation. The filter's running fine and I always wash it in tank water anyway.

RSVP.
_________________
 
I noticed that the four gold barbs I put into my community tank have begun to headstand I hear this can be an indicator of nitrite (I don't have a test kit). If this is true do I have to just let the filter catch up with the increased waste or do a water change or anything? My Odessa barbs aren't doing it, nor are any of the others. I introduced a few other new fish with them if that helps your explanation. The filter's running fine and I always wash it in tank water anyway.

RSVP.
_________________

mine do it all the time are they female by any chance
 
How long did you climatise them for.
What was the ph of the store to your tank.
Are they turning upside down.
I would invest in some liquid test kits.
 
Couple of my tiger barbs have always done this and show no other signs of ill health, always had me puzzled but i've pretty much just accepted it after several months of research!
 
Thanks for the advice! The shops pH is the same as mine around 7 and I acclimatised them for ages, at least half an hour.
 
Barbs don't naturally swim in a weird position with their head down and tail up. It is normally caused by too much dry food. The fish gorge themselves on flakes and take in air at the same time. This causes them to become unbalanced and they swim with their head facing downwards.

The only other time they swim with their head down is if they are grubbing about in the gravel. But they should swim normally when they are no longer looking for food in the substrate.
 
Couple of my tiger barbs have always done this and show no other signs of ill health, always had me puzzled but i've pretty much just accepted it after several months of research!

im not sure about other barbs but im sure i read somewhere that tiger barbs headstand as a sign of submision to a fish higher up in the pecking order. some of my new tiger barbs do it to the alpha male in the school
 
Barbs don't naturally swim in a weird position with their head down and tail up. It is normally caused by too much dry food. The fish gorge themselves on flakes and take in air at the same time. This causes them to become unbalanced and they swim with their head facing downwards.

The only other time they swim with their head down is if they are grubbing about in the gravel. But they should swim normally when they are no longer looking for food in the substrate.


They dont "swim" head down, almost pause like it for a brief moment and then carry on as normal. 5 of my 8 tiger(albino) barbs show this behaviour occasionally and they only get dry food once a week, the rest of the time they get frozen

Couple of my tiger barbs have always done this and show no other signs of ill health, always had me puzzled but i've pretty much just accepted it after several months of research!

im not sure about other barbs but im sure i read somewhere that tiger barbs headstand as a sign of submision to a fish higher up in the pecking order. some of my new tiger barbs do it to the alpha male in the school

That kinda fits with what occurs in my tank
 
Barbs don't naturally swim in a weird position with their head down and tail up. It is normally caused by too much dry food. The fish gorge themselves on flakes and take in air at the same time. This causes them to become unbalanced and they swim with their head facing downwards.

The only other time they swim with their head down is if they are grubbing about in the gravel. But they should swim normally when they are no longer looking for food in the substrate.


They dont "swim" head down, almost pause like it for a brief moment and then carry on as normal. 5 of my 8 tiger(albino) barbs show this behaviour occasionally and they only get dry food once a week, the rest of the time they get frozen

Couple of my tiger barbs have always done this and show no other signs of ill health, always had me puzzled but i've pretty much just accepted it after several months of research!

im not sure about other barbs but im sure i read somewhere that tiger barbs headstand as a sign of submision to a fish higher up in the pecking order. some of my new tiger barbs do it to the alpha male in the school

That kinda fits with what occurs in my tank

yep i agree
 

Most reactions

Back
Top