Having Teachers As Friends/best Friends

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PrincessKiara

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm 16, in the second year of high. I speak English and Spanish equally well (long story) and do my best to get good grades. I was homeschooled all my life, so this is my first ever time in school (second year already).
My classmates all dislike me (except at homework time) because I'm the class 'nerd' and don't play the same sports or watch the same movies they do. All my best friends are teachers.
Is that weird? My best friend is my ex logic teacher from last year. She and I are apt to spend hours on the phone, and we chat by Facebook, e-mail, you name it. She hasn't yet been able to come to my house (my mom's health isn't very good), but we've been planning on it since before she left my school. It's not until she left that I realized how much time I'd really spent with her in school; now I have nothing to do all recess. I miss her so bad
sad.png

I am also friends with the ex librarian, who I adopted as my 'big sister' LOL, and am very friendly with most of the teachers. When I get a 10 on an exam, the first thing I usually do is go find a teacher I like and tacklehug them hahaha
smile.png

The geography teacher I had last year is an excellent teacher and a very sweet person. She was perfectly OK with being friends with me until her 'friend'--my last year's advanced English teacher, with whom I had many problems simply because she didn't like me and she also happens to be the principal's best pal--told her things about me. I suppose she was reprimanded in some way, because afterward, she told me we couldn't be friends because she was my teacher and I was her student. That broke my heart, because before I had this problem, she had told me we were friends, and we had grown really close. (That, by the way, never affected my grades. If I earned a 5, she gave me a 5; if I earned a 10, she gave me a 10, and that was totally separate from our friendship.)

Now I'm confused. They've changed around a lot of teachers this year, and though she still works at my school she doesn't give classes at my level. I miss her teaching ability, but most of all, I miss her friendship. Sometimes I get the feeling that she still cares, that she still wants to talk to me, but is afraid to be seen doing so. Like, she'll pass by me in the hallway and give me a pat on the shoulder or say 'hi', but right away she'll run off to her next class, without giving me the opportunity to follow and chat with her on the way. I love her deeply and I would never hurt her, so I stay away to avoid getting her in trouble. But she saved me from total social isolation last year, and that's not something I'll ever forget.

I wouldn't say weird no, but I would say ( be very careful here TallTree :unsure: ) ....... That..... Errrrrmmmm... I've never known anyone who even liked our teachers let alone was best friends with them. 

But hey! If it works for you then good on you.

My personal recommendation would be to try and maybe find hobby classes outside of school and make friends of your own age because at some point you'll have to leave the teachers behind.

I can say I was almost the same, my maturity level was much higher than the other girls who liked to go off, get drunk and obsess over boys - I couldn't care less about being a socialite and wanted to play video games, draw and read. I had great conversations with a few particular teachers but it never went further.

You have to remember that their jobs and livelihood is at stake by getting 'close' with a pupil (I'm English btw). A lot of people will frown upon it and somewhat find it creepy.
Sorry to be so blunt but I personally feel the age gap and social differences isn't something you can work around.

Find groups online perhaps - make friends who share the same interests.
The internet can help if you have problems with confidence too.

I only speak from experience..

If you don't find what I say to be negative I will be happy to help if you need it.

Remember it's my opinion and you don't need to pay any attention to it :p

I do have friends of my own age, but I can't say I like them (or they me) as much as I like my teachers. I ask my favorites for their contact info, so even if/when they or I leave school I can keep in contact. My logic teacher left last year, but I still talk to her very often :) I think adults are more likely to be good friends than classmates because, I mean, what can a teacher ever need from you? But classmates will often act 'friendly' just to get you to do their homework, even if they don't like you. I've been betrayed like this many times...but never by a teacher.
That said, even here in Mexico, I know a teacher could get in trouble. At my school, no one generally bothers, but I have to be careful because if I tick off another teacher, they could try to ruin my friendships.

It is a sad fact of life, but most teens are idiots. I was at that age. They have no clue what is important in life and no sense of their own mortality.

There is nothing that will change this, it is the nature of the human animal.

When I was 16 I knew it all, when I was 21, i knew even more. Now I am 65 and have spent a lifetime learning and experiencing I can tell you I don't know as much as I did back then.

Btw, at 16 a week was forever, now a week seems like so little time. Be patient, be true to yourself and it will get better.

TwoTankAmin said:
It is a sad fact of life, but most teens are idiots. I was at that age. They have no clue what is important in life and no sense of their own mortality.

There is nothing that will change this, it is the nature of the human animal.

When I was 16 I knew it all, when I was 21, i knew even more. Now I am 65 and have spent a lifetime learning and experiencing I can tell you I don't know as much as I did back then.

Btw, at 16 a week was forever, now a week seems like so little time. Be patient, be true to yourself and it will get better.
That's really deep and true.

My daughter has had problems with making friends during most of her elementary years. She was taller than everyone else, she was more mature than everyone else and just not the girly-girly-ballerina-gossip kind and therefor overlooked by the girls in her classes throughout the early years....I think the best advise I gave her was she did not need to make many friends, all she needs is to find one good friend.

In grade 6 she was entered into an enrichment class (normal curriculum plus extra classes to enrich the students who could handle extra work load) by her teachers and was given the opportunity to meet new girls her age. She became friends with one girl in particular and soon twin sisters joined the two and still to this day, 10 years later, the 4 of them are finding things to do together. They've gone to University in different cities and still made sure to stay in contact, to arrange visits with each other, to meet when they all came home for holidays.

It seems you may have made a few friends, but have not yet found the one good friend!

Oh, I'm sure I have. My logic teacher and I haven't seen each other for God knows how long, but we still talk quite frequently. If I'm going through a tough time, I know I can call her for help, support and advice, and vice versa. I trust her completely and love her very much.
I was wondering about my current teachers, however, especially the geography teacher...It broke my heart when she told me we couldn't be friends, only a few weeks after telling me that yes, we could. I would love to believe that she was forced/scared into staying away from me, even though she technically isn't my teacher this year.
@TwoTankAmin: LOL so true! I try my best to avoid being like that, since I find it incredibly annoying when others do so. I try to keep in mind what Socrates said, "I only know that I know nothing" or something like that. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back