Having a good bad week

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Things come in threes, right?

So the first good bad thing was last week when I moved my probably never before bred in North America Chromidotilapia nana to a new tank, so I could film them if they bred. They're mouthbrooders who care for the young after they freeswim, so I thought that would be cool. They spat out eggs just becoming larvae into the net. I figured I ruined things, but dumped the eggs in with the stressed parents. They gathered them up and I now have fry. A bad thing is a good thing there.

Every time I go near the tank they give me the stink eye and gather the fry into their mouths. I got it on video, but we used to get along.

Then I spotted eggs from Dicrossus filamentosus in a community tank where I couldn't save them. But that means they'll breed in my water so I set up a breeding tank and am now raising the temperature. I'll condition the breeding female, then next week add a male. The eggs were on the silicone just below the surface. Losing them was bad because they may never breed again. Maybe it'll turn out good in the new tank.

Today I was happily doing water changes. Halfway through doing my Microctenopoma nanum tank, I saw the bubble nest. &^&^%! I'd already caused it to break up. But maybe good will come, as again, I know they want to spawn.

I think my luck is good, and my set ups are working, but three screw ups in a week...

Most reactions

Back