Have Seen The Most Gorgeous Catfish

sneezy

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Its the Platydoras costatus otherwise known as striped talking catfish.

I resisted buying it and have started doing some reading up and it says he may eat small fish. I have a peaceful community tank (Roma 240) with lots of tetras and don't really fancy them becoming fish food but I :wub: the fish.

Also info so far has conflicted on group size, Some say they are fine singularly whilst others say groups of 3+

Any info would be gratefully recieved
 
The Striped Raphael will be fine in any community tank. They are very peaceful and nocturnal (so don't be surprised if you don't see them for a week or more at a time). They will eat fry though but any mature fish will be fine.


Just beware that they can live for over 30 years and get to their full size of about 8" within about 5 or 6 years.


Edit to add: They can be kept singly or in groups of as many your tank can support.
 
What is the smallest species you have?

IME they don't usually harm fish But anything too small that rests near the bottom may seem to good to refuse

Platydoras costatus are highly nocturnal only really venturing out in the dead of night, I have one that hides in a coconut during the day and I usually only see it fully about 2-3 times per month (in the late evening).

They are definitely more active in a small group
 
I currently have 4 of these cool little dudes,they are in a 75 us gallon community tank with many glolight tetras,and a ever expanding population of khulie loaches.I've had 2 of the 4 for comeing onto 4 years now.Everything I've seen over the years agrees with what these guys above say,they won't eat your tetras,but they will eat fry,however it is my thouhgt that the fry would preaty much have to swim into there mouths lol as they aren't very active and from what I've seen of them feeding they are not the "hunter" type,more of a "scavenger".
Coolest looking fw fish ever imo! It's like a little tank with SPIKES and SPOTS!
 
Thank you. Will def get one on the weekend now. My smallest fish are black neon tetras which I got 8 months ago so are a reasonable size. I'm all excited now. thanks again.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top