Have An Idea Of What To Aim For, And What's Available

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
Hey guys. My 50 gallon tank is just about ready, and I've been calling around trying to find some fish I'm looking for. None of the LFS's around here will allow me to order specific fish from them, and none of them are particularly diverse from one another. I was not able to find some of the specific julidochromis or shell dwellers that I was looking for, but this is what I did find:

Neolamprologus bevis (Like what I've read of these)

Julidochromis marlieri (Like the look of these and julidochromis in general)

Neolamprologus leleupi (kinda like these, have a feeling they won't be compatible with anything I like, being solitary and relatively large, not to mention julis have the similar body shape which might make them look like a threat)

Altolamprologus (Aquarium store didn't have the specific species for some reason, but I like these guys, but read they are fry eaters, and am worried it'd eat any smaller species of fish I get)

I'd also like to add some synodontis petricola and whatever else pops up that may be compatible.

I definitely want some sort of shell dwelling cichlid and some julis. I've been dying to try out both of them and I feel like I'd kick myself later for not doing so while I've got the chance.

On a side note, I've got mixed reviews on if julidochromis can be kept in colonies or if they can only be kept in a pair. Does anyone have any insight on this? Are there any juli species in general that do well in groups rather than pairs?

thanks much.

You'd be best off starting with the brevis and julis. Design the tank so you get one distinctive shell area and one rock area. You can have a look at my link in the signature to see my shell dweller journey. I have 4 juli dickfeldi and 7 multifasticus and planning on getting something for the top at a later point.

Regarding your dilemma with the julis - get a small group of juveniles (4-6) and see who pairs up and the return the rest. I have four at the moment but haven't had any pairing yet, they were very young when I got them, so I am watching and waiting hoping I end up with a pair so I can return the others. One is a bit of a bully, but he isn't harming the others. He just doesn't want them in his particular part of the rocks, it's his territory.

Once all those are settled you could consider a shoaling fish for the top column, so your lelepui would be a good choice. But I'd let the shellies and julis settle down first and see how it goes. Another option for the top column would be nigripinnis. 50 gallon sounds like a 4ft tank? If yes, you should be ok with that.

how many brevi's could I go for?

What I've read of the neolamprologus leleupi is that they hate each other and are a primarily solitary species, since the julidochromis marlieri have a very similar body shape, I'm worried that the leleupi would take the julis as a threat and bully them around.

it is a four foot tank, dimensions are 48"x12"x18", already have plenty of shells and rockwork. Probably gonna start with the julidochromis and figure out where to go from there. The brevi's are over an hour drive away, and I'm still debating on if I want them, so I might start with the colony of julis and maybe an altolamprologus if they're compatible with the small shell dwellers.

Start off with about 8 brevis and 4 julis for a 4ft tank. Be careful adding them in stages. The julis might be angry when you add shell dwellers afterwards, so your best bet would be to add them all in one go. This will reduce aggression as they are all in a new environment and they will sort themselves out. If you have the julis on their own let's say for a month and then add the brevis, they might get really nasty with them.

The Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis are a more peaceful shoaling fish, so maybe get them instead for leleupi?

Not sure of I want the leleupi, I was just throwing it in as a possibility.

How many neolamprologus brevis would I be keeping if I got 8? Would I be expecting to remove some?

How would this work for a long term stocking plan?

2 Julidochromis marlieri
6 Neolamprologus brevis
1 Altolamprologus calvus (if it won't eat any of my fishes)
6 Synodontis petricola
6 cyprichromis sp.

I'm currently running a eheim 2217 on the tank, but may get a hang on back side filter if necessary. This filter has loads of biological filtration, though, and I think it'd be enough, if these fish could live with each other comfortably.

I have a single leleupi in my tank and he is fine. I was advised not to go for marlier because of the size and them ripping shellies out the shells.Some transcriptus would be better. Brevis wise you may be able to have 2 pairs in there okay. Your calvus will be okay as they will take forever to grow plus all fish will want to snack on the babies. Your catfish as ive mentioned in another post is that they are a busy fish which have no regard to territorys and just swim all over your shellies and disturb them. Non jumbo cyps will be okay though.

Finished stocking could be;

4 brevis
2 julies.
1-2 calvus
6-12 cyps
BN plec

I have a single leleupi in my tank and he is fine. I was advised not to go for marlier because of the size and them ripping shellies out the shells.Some transcriptus would be better. Brevis wise you may be able to have 2 pairs in there okay. Your calvus will be okay as they will take forever to grow plus all fish will want to snack on the babies. Your catfish as ive mentioned in another post is that they are a busy fish which have no regard to territorys and just swim all over your shellies and disturb them. Non jumbo cyps will be okay though.

Finished stocking could be;

4 brevis
2 julies.
1-2 calvus
6-12 cyps
BN plec

Have you tried About fish in Westminster?? A facebook link
I give you that link as I'm too lazy to get another.

Mark is An ACA Member and more Knowledgeable and connected than you will ever know until you break the ice with him.

If the fish you are after are available he will get them... However be advised you wont be able to take your special order home for at least 3 days after delivery to his store.. He is all about the health of the fish first.

I have no one in the front range area I trust more!!!

You really have to get on with him b4 he will open up compleatly..
I now get my equipment at 5% over his cost.. I'm a lucky boy!! this saves me a ton of cash.

Edit: if you'd like and cant get a certain species from him I'll try and play go between and see if he is just being cold.. I've done this for my neighbor.

Have you tried About fish in Westminster?? A facebook link
I give you that link as I'm too lazy to get another.

Mark is An ACA Member and more Knowledgeable and connected than you will ever know until you break the ice with him.

If the fish you are after are available he will get them... However be advised you wont be able to take your special order home for at least 3 days after delivery to his store.. He is all about the health of the fish first.

I have no one in the front range area I trust more!!!

You really have to get on with him b4 he will open up compleatly..

Edit: if you'd like and cant get a certain species form him I'll play go between and see if he is just being cold.. I've done this for my neighbor.
westminster is a pretty big trip for me, considering I can't drive...

After much research and consultation I've come up with this stock:
6 julidochromis dickfeldi (multiple sources say these ones can be kept in colonies and will even help each other raise fry, unlike other julis)
1 altolamprologus calvus, hopefully black
6 neolamprologus multifasciatus
6 cyprichromis sp.

here's a photo of the tank now, I'm just cycling it at this point in time

1516A103-orig.jpg

I've been to fish den ,44th and Sheridan right? dingy tanks, horrible knowledge (except from one, the owner). and super high prices..
Trust me , or not. see for yourself. while your in the area check out the Reptile stores to the west.. nice 100+ year old tortoise to see.
You will end up , eventually, being a Cichlid keeper at the proper store eventually..
however as I said You need to cultivate a relationship with to get the best.
SO WORTH THE TRIP!! even if the tanks don't hold the awe inspiring fish on that day.. they go fast out of his store.. you will find a true fish keepers base there..
Just saying.

edit just read the part about cant drive and mom thing.. ok so..

If you can talk Latin names Mark will love you..
I'll take the list to him you posted and ask.

You are by all means serious about the health of the fish so lets get you what you want.

I've been to fish den ,44th and Sheridan right? dingy tanks, horrible knowledge (except from one, the owner). and super high prices..
Trust me , or not. see for yourself. while your in the area check out the Reptile stores to the west.. nice 100+ year old tortoise to see.
You will end up , eventually, being a Cichlid keeper at the proper store eventually..
SO WORTH THE TRIP!! even if the tanks don't hold the awe inspiring fish on that day.. they go fast out of his store.. you will find a true fish keepers base there..
Just saying.
My mom just suggested it to me, she said it was somewhat close by, but she has no sense of direction. After mapping it on google, it doesn't seem like the place you suggested is much further away than fish den is. Mom also suggested todd's tropical fish place which she said was "the best fish store in denver" but when i went in there once, I never wanted to go there again. So I tend to not take her word for things.

She's also one of those "fish keepers" who has pengasius catfish, gbr's, zebra danios, harlequin rasboras, and swordtails in a 15 gallon tank, cause she buys fish impulsively and doesn't listen to me.

but I digress..

I'll try to make it out there, once my tank is finished cycling. I kinda feel like I should just order the fish online, as I'm not a very social person face to face, I like to settle my matters privately without questions. We'll see.

I can sure as hell type latin names, but pronouncing them is a whole different story :unsure: I know exactly what I'm looking for and how to care for them, and I'm pretty intent. I haven't looked into the cyprichromis species yet cause I was told they are fragile to new tanks, so I'm going to do research on them later on, probably about 6 months from now or more. That's why I didn't name a specific species yet.

Just saying.
My mom just suggested it to me, she said it was somewhat close by, but she has no sense of direction. After mapping it on google, it doesn't seem like the place you suggested is much further away than fish den is. Mom also suggested todd's tropical fish place which she said was "the best fish store in denver" but when i went in there once, I never wanted to go there again. So I tend to not take her word for things.

She's also one of those "fish keepers" who has pengasius catfish, gbr's, zebra danios, harlequin rasboras, and swordtails in a 15 gallon tank, cause she buys fish impulsively and doesn't listen to me.

but I digress..

I'll try to make it out there, once my tank is finished cycling. I kinda feel like I should just order the fish online, as I'm not a very social person face to face, I like to settle my matters privately without questions. We'll see.
Fair enough.. I shall take the posted stocking dream sheet tomorrow when I go to see him , I will ask about them and report , fair?

If you know your species, and are secure enough in the keeping you have no reason NOT to become social enough with those whom benefit your agenda to further your cause. right?
You are an intelligent individual and must be dealt with as such regardless of age. don't forget that..

Just saying.

but I digress..

I can sure as hell type latin names, but pronouncing them is a whole different story :unsure: I know exactly what I'm looking for and how to care for them, and I'm pretty intent. I haven't looked into the cyprichromis species yet cause I was told they are fragile to new tanks, so I'm going to do research on them later on, probably about 6 months from now or more. That's why I didn't name a specific species yet.
SO Should I ask present or future availability? I totally get the 20ish miles from deep Littleton to N Denver. it is a gas hog trip.
The ACA convention is here next year!! Did you know that??
Such a gold mine of contacts and great fish on auction.

Fair enough.. I shall take the posted stocking dream sheet tomorrow when I go to see him , I will ask about them and report , fair?

If you know your species, and are secure enough in the keeping you have no reason NOT to become social enough with those whom benefit your agenda to further your cause. right?
You are an intelligent individual and must be dealt with as such regardless of age. don't forget that..
I can be social under the right conditions, I just can't shove myself in and cultivate a relationship with people who don't seem to want anything to do with me. I'll follow through on everything if it's set to go, though.

Just saying.

but I digress..

SO Should I ask present or future availability? I totally get the 20ish miles from deep Littleton to N Denver. it is a gas hog trip.
The ACA convention is here next year!! Did you know that??
Such a gold mine of contacts and great fish on auction.
Future availability, I seeded some media to the tanganyika tank but it's still not clearing the ammonia fast enough for my liking, it might take another week or two depending. I almost had it rolling, but an 8 hour power outage seemed to stall a bit of it, to my demise (gonna be getting battery outlets for my tanks after that mishap)

Don't even know what ACA means, I've yet to really get my foot in the door with fish keeping things off the net or local area. I'll look into it, though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back