Hatching Killiefish, Need Some Help Please.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KillieLover

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum (and website), so I hope I'm posting this in the right place, if not hopefully the moderators can easily move it.

I purchased 100 Killifish/rachovii eggs from eBay, and received them in the mail a couple days ago. They came in a small container filled with Peat moss. On the lid it says "Validity date: 18-Jan-12". I'm assuming that is the "hatch date" right?

I've never hatched Killies yet, but I've done a lot of research before (and after) buying these. I now know, from "BigC" that the "Rachovii" isn't the best for a beginner to start with, but I'm willing to do the water changes, and everything to try to have a successful hatch. I've been in the fish hobby for about 10 years at least, but haven't ever breed fish or raised fry yet.

I read BigC's article on Killifish, but I have a few questions and rather then write a reply to that old post, I decided to ask here.

First, how much of the container should I try and hatch at first and should I start the hatching on the 18th? Also, it comes with a little Peat moss in the con. (the same size as the one BigC hatched) but do I need to buy and put any more into the hatch container? Also I don't have any Java moss or any other kind of moss, right now. So do I need to buy some of that for the "raising tray" or can I get some more Peat moss (at Walmart or somewhere cheap) and just raise them in that?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later, but this should get me going. If anyone needs more information from me let me know.

Thank you in advance for any help. :)

P.S. Just for the record, I'm planning to hatch these Ranchovii Killies and some other "6 mixed types" I should be receiving soon. (I'm not going to be hatching them all together though). I have an approx. 30 gallon tank established (for a few weeks now, with a Betta in it for now and small gravel. I'm also getting some live plants for it through the mail soon, and am planning to put the Killies in there when they are big enough (and moving the Betta out).

Make sure to have something to feed them when they hatch, I feed my young rudwildekampi fry microworms daily

I didn't add any peat moss to the raising container, and I found my fry liked spawn mops better than plants to hide in

Hi MisssMarie,

Thanks for the help!

I've had plans for what to feed them. I've heard that the fry aren't big enough to eat Live Baby Brine Shrimp (which I'm planning to hatch), so I'm thinking I'll make some "Infusoria" (with a banana peel in a glass jar of aquarium water, set by a window for a few days). And feed them on that first and then use the BBS.

Since the eggs are already in Peat moss, I'll probably have to add some of that when I put the eggs into the hatching con...since I doubt I'd be able to separate the eggs from the Peat. I think I'll wait for others to answer my post first though, before I do anything.

UPDATE: My live plant stems (for the 30 gallon tank) and my 6 mixed types of Killie eggs arrived today! I'm going to go put the plants in the tank now, (hopefully my Betta won't eat them). :p

yeah, you put the peat moss and eggs into the hatching container, but didn't move the peat moss into the grow up container (realize I typed the wrong one - sorry! just went and fixed that)I used an old butter container as my hatching container - 8 oz haha

Oh okay, so your saying to use the Peat moss in the hatching con. and then spawn mops in the raising con. right? Thanks for the clarification.

Yep! Sorry for the confusion, Its tank cleaning/water swapping day, and I think i inhaled too much water o.o (have to suck on the tube to get the water and i wasn't paying attention and i got a mouthful of fish water *gag*) I recommend you have a flashlight on hand, and a turkey baster! I used a flashlight to spot the fish, it helps to be able to do that, and once it had been free swimming for a while, switched it to the raising tank with the turkey baster! He's doing well, got a great appetite, and is about 3x the size

Yep! Sorry for the confusion, Its tank cleaning/water swapping day, and I think i inhaled too much water o.o (have to suck on the tube to get the water and i wasn't paying attention and i got a mouthful of fish water *gag*) I recommend you have a flashlight on hand, and a turkey baster! I used a flashlight to spot the fish, it helps to be able to do that, and once it had been free swimming for a while, switched it to the raising tank with the turkey baster! He's doing well, got a great appetite, and is about 3x the size

Haha, yikes. I've wondered how people get a siphon going when cleaning a tank with airline tubing. :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll have my flashlight ready! I don't have a turkey baster, but I do have a long plastic eyedropper thing, that came with a "Hatch n' Feeder" BBS hatchery kit. :) So I guess I'll use that.

Lets just say fishy water is not very tasty...
I had to lean VERY close to the container, and shine the light and just study it for a long time. Oh, and I added microworms to the hatching container! I heard it helps induce hatching, so, it looked like the peat was dancing because I added a lot, it was kind of funny

Here's a pic of him on the day I hatched him/her. I took the liberty of circling him! That's him in the hatching container that is 5 american pennies wide...
hahtch.jpg

Wouldn't adding microworms make the water pretty dirty, and you'd have to do even more water changes instead of only about 20% a day? I've heard you shouldn't feed the fry until they are hatched and their yolk sack is gone...what do you think?

Wouldn't adding microworms make the water pretty dirty, and you'd have to do even more water changes instead of only about 20% a day? I've heard you shouldn't feed the fry until they are hatched and their yolk sack is gone...what do you think?

I personally add microworms, and haven't had a problem with them, To me, It makes sense to add the microworms because the information I was given said: "adding microworms help the egg hatch because in nature, the soil would be moving and coming alive with micro-organisms from the rain, thus the peat moving helps tell them to hatch"

I personally add microworms, and haven't had a problem with them, To me, It makes sense to add the microworms because the information I was given said: "adding microworms help the egg hatch because in nature, the soil would be moving and coming alive with micro-organisms from the rain, thus the peat moving helps tell them to hatch"

Okay, that makes sense. I probably won't do that (at least not this time) since I don't have any microworms. But I'll keep that in mind. :)

Okay, that makes sense. I probably won't do that (at least not this time) since I don't have any microworms. But I'll keep that in mind. :)

Yeah, they're fun to hatch, and it's crazy to watch them hatch!

Can anyone else answer this question?

"Also I don't have any Java moss or any other kind of moss, right now. So do I need to buy some of that for the "raising tray" or can I get some more Peat moss (at Walmart or somewhere cheap) and just raise them in that?"

The only Java moss I could find, sounded pretty expensive (on eBay). If I do need some, anyone know where I can find some cheap?

I've heard you shouldn't feed the fry until they are hatched and their yolk sack is gone...what do you think?
Annual killifish fry dont have a yolk sac as such and have a very high[font="arial][size="2"] metabolism, hence the need for food from the offset.[/size][/font]
[font="arial][color="#222222"]Look into getting a paramoecium culture from a biological supply company. I found it better than the hit and miss infusoria recipes of today.[/color][/font]Why do you need the Java moss?
Regards
C

I've heard you shouldn't feed the fry until they are hatched and their yolk sack is gone...what do you think?
Annual killifish fry dont have a yolk sac as such and have a very high[font="arial][size="2"] metabolism, hence the need for food from the offset.[/size][/font]
[font="arial][color="#222222"]Look into getting a paramoecium culture from a biological supply company. I found it better than the hit and miss infusoria recipes of today.[/color][/font]Why do you need the Java moss?
Regards
C

Hi BigC, Did you read my original post? That explains why I might need Java moss. Will you please read those questions and let me know what you think? I'm not sure if I need Java moss or not, the instructions for hatching these eggs (from eBay), say to put Java or another type of moss in the raising tray. My question is do I have to do that (since I don't have any) and can I just get some more Peat moss (since that would be cheaper) and put that in the "raising tray".

Thank you so much for answering everyone.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back