Hatchetfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Aqua_Princess64

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys!!!
I know my 12 gallon tank is pretty much stocked and that I need to get another guppy and molly but lately I've been thinking about hatchetfish and I wanted to know some things about them. What do they need to be fed? What are their ideal water parameters? Would they be compatible with the fish in my tank after I have some more room? How many would I need if I could get any?

Thanks!!!
~Aqua~

There are several species of Hatchet Fish, all of which do best in a group of 4-6. All of them are very suceptable to White Spot and when stressed will often catch it. IME after transportation this often occurs so if it is possible quarantine is needed. They are a nice fish that will sitck rigidly to the surface of the water, they will take most foods but occasionally they have to be weened on to flakes etc. Mine love freeze dried bloodworm, its about the only thing thet will eat. The Silver Hatchets are the largest going down to the Black winged Hatchets. They need good water conditions on the soft and acidic side, keeping ammonia and nitrate levels low is essentail to prevent bacterial or other diseases. They also love to jump so some floating plants will help to prevent this.

hatchetfish must be kept in schools. they willnot do well in small numbers. a grouping of six is nice, more lookes better but only if you have the room. they are very peaceful fish, and spend most of their time near the surface. they like fast currents,mine spend mostofthe time directly in front of hte filter output. they will eat flakes but they usually prefer live foods (i'm sure they'd take frozen). be careful, they have been known to jump out of the water so be careful when you have the hood off.
i have the marble ones, very neat to look at. the silver are nice too though.
they are compatible with most community fish, and like the typical tropical temps.

Will They tolerate salt? I'm thinking of adding some to my platy tank, but it does have a little salt in it.

I wouldn't recommend adding anything else to your tank, Aqua. Like MAM and ryan said, they're schooling and you have no room for a school at the moment. They should do well with that crowd if you upgrade.

And Sorrell, they should tolerate the salt, especially if they come from a lfs that uses FW salt in tanks. You could add less salt than recommended if you're unsure.

if u do get em make sure u feed em flakes. they eat only things at the top and will not eat things that sink.

dragonfish4life said:
if u do get em make sure u feed em flakes. they eat only things at the top and will not eat things that sink.
True, mine have never taken to flakes and ignore them, they will only eat freeze dried bloodworm which also floats.

i just started out and i love my hatchet fish. they are kind of lonely because i only have two but i am waiting to buy a bigger tank and get 3 more hatchetfish to complete the school. they do jump. one of mine jumped when i was taking out a dead zebra and it hit the canopy of the tank so watch out. this is a very cool fish to have. common hatchets are easier to find than black winged and marbled. i have only been able to find marbled and common.

MY FISH
6 zebra danios
2 common hatchetfish
1 bronze corydora
1 male cherry barb
2 rummy nose tetra
2 black spotted corydoras

noelberg said:
I wouldn't recommend adding anything else to your tank, Aqua. Like MAM and ryan said, they're schooling and you have no room for a school at the moment. They should do well with that crowd if you upgrade.
I know I have no room. :nod: I'm just planning for when I do have some room, which will probably be whenever I can become strong and resist buying more fish whenever I do have room.

Aqua_Princess64 said:
noelberg said:
I know I have no room. :nod: I'm just planning for when I do have some room, which will probably be whenever I can become strong and resist buying more fish whenever I do have room.
LOL being strong is so tough. So many fish .... such limited space. I need to find a Fishaholics Anonymous.

noelberg said:
Aqua_Princess64 said:
noelberg said:
LOL being strong is so tough. So many fish .... such limited space. I need to find a Fishaholics Anonymous.
Yea...I know

If I wouldn't have spent my income tax return on a La-Z-boy recliner, I definitely would have gotten the 125 Gallon setup with cherry wood stand and top at Petsmart ... slightly under $550 :wub:

But then I would have had to wait another two weeks to a month to afford filtration and decorations :(

But now I can watch the fish in comfort! :hey:

Most reactions

Back