Has anyone managed to breed heckelii?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SAChichlidLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I really need to ask if any of you have actually pulled off breeding Threadfin acaras (heckelii) and if so please let me in on the secret ?
These are one of my if not favourite fish and I really would love to pull off breeding them but from what I have found, there's not enough info on the breeding process as websites contrast each other with how to actually breed them so I was just thinking of buying an extra two and moving them with my original pair into their own tank with the natural biotope? I feel like I'm trying to work magic here as most heckelii are unfortunately wild caught aswell.

Attachments

• Threadfin.jpg
    Threadfin.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Threadfin pic 3.jpg
    Threadfin pic 3.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Threadfin pic 2.jpg
    Threadfin pic 2.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 51
Also my original pair are big babies at the moment so I'll probably have to wait a year or so before they are fully mature :)
Feel free to name them if you like!

They were breeding them back in the early 90s. There were articles in TFH (Tropical Fish Hobbyist) and FAMA (Freshwater and Marine Aquarium) magazines back then.

Buy a group of 8-10 young fish and grow them up together. The males get bigger than females and have cool fins. They breed in caves or tunnels and the guys over east used pvc pipe that was about 6 inches in diameter by 18-24 inches long. A male set up a territory and claimed a couple of females. He only bred with one at a time and encouraged the female into the pipe where she laid eggs and he fertilised them. Both parents guarded and fanned the eggs. The 500+ babies were reared up on newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms.

They were breeding them back in the early 90s. There were articles in TFH (Tropical Fish Hobbyist) and FAMA (Freshwater and Marine Aquarium) magazines back then.

Buy a group of 8-10 young fish and grow them up together. The males get bigger than females and have cool fins. They breed in caves or tunnels and the guys over east used pvc pipe that was about 6 inches in diameter by 18-24 inches long. A male set up a territory and claimed a couple of females. He only bred with one at a time and encouraged the female into the pipe where she laid eggs and he fertilised them. Both parents guarded and fanned the eggs. The 500+ babies were reared up on newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms.
Thanks so much for this! I'll see if I have the resources to pull this off aswell!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back