Has anyone kept and bred Cichlasoma amazonarum - if so any feedback ?

anewbie

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Has anyone kept Cichlasoma amazonarum ? Do they do fine in white water or require blackwater? Also any comment in general in a community tank and if so what species would you mix them with (passive environment not bully environment) ?

Has anyone kept Cichlasoma amazonarum ? Do they do fine in white water or require blackwater? Also any comment in general in a community tank and if so what species would you mix them with (passive environment not bully environment) ?
Is it a fish you've seen in a shop or something you've seen online / in a book and want to track down? It is a largely brown acara fish with a bit of a blue sheen.

I was going to say that I didnt think that Cichlasoma was a valid species anymore but it looks like it is again??!??!! The Acara families are crazy, Cichlasoma used to be a big catch all group and its been revised down loads, most big acaras became Aequidens then some of the Saums got put into Andinoacara. There were some that were left as "Cichlasoma" which basically means no ones sure where they go, always felt sorry for them lol.

It would be an interesting choice but for me there are nicer Acaras like Blues, Royals. Krobia Xinguensis is really nice and I've always had a soft spot for Laetacaras. I had a group of Thayeri, which were great until they laid eggs and became absolutely insane with rage.

Wills

I think you mentioned Krobia Xinguensis and they are on my list as an option but seem very iffy to find - i still have about 12 months (the work on the room for the tanks has been very slow due to pandemic/supply issues) till i setup the tank so maybe they will be available then but was looking for alternaties. Not familiar with royals acaras.

Krobia are quite rare but you have the advantage of being in the US :) Make sure you check out Cichlids of the Americas and Tangled Up In Cichlids. I think there are some other new cichlid importers that help too.

Royal Acaras are Aequidens Diadema, gorgeous fish but needs to be kept properly as they can be a bit of a bully and a bit predatory.

Wills

Ok the roayl acara are probalby not suitable. Never heard of chchlid of america but i have used tangeld up before and the fellow is nice. I'll wait till i get 4 months or so to setup and then contact these folks and see if they can obtain them for me (and provide them my time line). An aquaint found some in a shop in oregon (not wetspot) but when i contacted wetspot they said they could not obtain them.

Is it a fish you've seen in a shop or something you've seen online / in a book and want to track down? It is a largely brown acara fish with a bit of a blue sheen.

I was going to say that I didnt think that Cichlasoma was a valid species anymore but it looks like it is again??!??!! The Acara families are crazy, Cichlasoma used to be a big catch all group and its been revised down loads, most big acaras became Aequidens then some of the Saums got put into Andinoacara. There were some that were left as "Cichlasoma" which basically means no ones sure where they go, always felt sorry for them lol.

It would be an interesting choice but for me there are nicer Acaras like Blues, Royals. Krobia Xinguensis is really nice and I've always had a soft spot for Laetacaras. I had a group of Thayeri, which were great until they laid eggs and became absolutely insane with rage.

Wills
Cichlasoma is just a lovely word, so why get rid of it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back