Harlequin Rasboras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lovell_89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i just came home from college to find one of my harleqiun rasboras had a large white lower lip. it looks like an infection or damage but when i left at 8 o'clock this morning it was fine, it seems strange it could get so bad in about 12 hours from nothing at all. any ideas of what do to,when i just fed them it wasnt interested in food at all so im quite concerned that if it isnt sorted soon it will starve. any help appreciated. cheers.

Many Rasbora species develop a white growth on the lower lip as they mature, (actually two small growths, one either side, but they frequently merge and appear to be one). It can resemble fungus to someone who has not seen it before. The growth does not pop up overnight however, although it does become more or less obvious over periods of time. The point also is that bacterial or fungal growths also do not pop up overnight, they develop over a period of days.

I would keep an eye on it for a few days. Fish will not starve quickly. If it feeds, swims/behaves normally and keeps it's colour and fins errect, I'd probably not worry about it.

The growth on mature Rasboras, once there, stays, although as I said, it tends to be more or less obvious depending on the state of the fish and water. It is a natural part of their development.

I am not saying this is definitely what you have observed on your fish, just pointing out that many people who have not kept Rasboras over a long period often worry about "mouth fungus" or other dire conditions, when in fact, there is nothing wrong at all.

I still am at something of a loss to explain what you are seeing hence my wait and see approach. The maturity growths develop over time, not overnight. Similarly, mouth fungus, columnaris infections etc., also take time to develop and do not suddenly appear in a few hours.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back