Harlequin rasboras aggressive?

thecandiedfish

Reaction score
So I have 5 of them in a 20 gallon and there ā€chasingā€ is getting worse/more intense. itā€™s lightly planted cause the plants are new and thereā€™s a few caves and a huge piece of spider wood. I have 1 honey gourami,5 harlequin rasbora,3 ottos,1 bn pleco,1 mystery snail and a bamboo shrimp. They all seem fine with each other but should I remove the rasboras? I like them but i donā€™t want them to potentially hurt one of my other fish either on purpose or on accident chasing each other. they even did that circle motion a few times where 2 fish chase each other in a tight circle.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10ish
ph 6.8-7

It's probably because there aren't enough of them. Shoaling species need at least 10. Mine don't bother each other but then I have somewhere around 15 to 18 (impossible to count them all). But you are quite heavily stocked with the fish you already have.
How long have you had them?

You need to add more. They are schooling fish and need to have like 10-15 in a group.

Although I also believe that your tank *might* be overstocked.

If you plant the tank heavily with fast growing plants, and filter well, you might be able to get away with a full school of harlequins, I think. Although would be much better, bioload wise, without the pleco.

Most reactions

Back