Happy Independence Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iā€™m British and my opinion of America is one day they might be as good as Canada .. nah jokes
Americans seem like cool people but take things a little serious or British people donā€™t take things seriously enough I feel like weā€™re the same peoples with different sense of humour
As good as Canada? If only it could be. :lol: I think it's cool that our two countries started out as bitter enemies, but within a generation or two we had become the closest of allies, and have remained so for a couple hundred years.

It's funny that you say that Americans take things too seriously and the Brits not seriously enough; I would guess that most Americans would have the opposite perception. I have found most English people to be extremely funny, once you get to know them, but they often come across to us as very serious. Monty Python, Graham Norton, and Billy Connolly notwithstanding. I can also tell you--and I hope everybody realizes this--that the American tourists one most often encounters, or the ones you see on TV, are NOT a fair representation of what most of us are like. :)

We met an English guy yesterday who was doing the USA coast-to-coast bicycle ride. After we talked with him for a while, my family was discussing various ways of speaking the English language. We agreed that the English accents make the language sound intelligent; the Scottish and Irish accents make it sound like music; the Aussie accent makes everything sound like a sly joke. The American accents? Somewhat lacking in all of those.

Ah well. Nobody's perfect.

As good as Canada? If only it could be. :lol: I think it's cool that our two countries started out as bitter enemies, but within a generation or two we had become the closest of allies, and have remained so for a couple hundred years.

It's funny that you say that Americans take things too seriously and the Brits not seriously enough; I would guess that most Americans would have the opposite perception. I have found most English people to be extremely funny, once you get to know them, but they often come across to us as very serious. Monty Python, Graham Norton, and Billy Connolly notwithstanding. I can also tell you--and I hope everybody realizes this--that the American tourists one most often encounters, or the ones you see on TV, are NOT a fair representation of what most of us are like. :)

We met an English guy yesterday who was doing the USA coast-to-coast bicycle ride. After we talked with him for a while, my family was discussing various ways of speaking the English language. We agreed that the English accents make the language sound intelligent; the Scottish and Irish accents make it sound like music; the Aussie accent makes everything sound like a sly joke. The American accents? Somewhat lacking in all of those.

Ah well. Nobody's perfect.
I agree British people take things seriously like iv had arguments on how to make a cup of tea ahahah I think we take really stupid things seriously , from the few Americans I have spoke to you chaps take things serious like your rights as people and heritage . The whole stuff about the flag never touching the floor and stuff , itā€™s cool but itā€™s a bit serious . Super bowl for example itā€™s basically the FA cup in England but you lads have fighter jets n BeyoncĆ© singing the national anthem lol cool but extreme
I feel like British people can laugh at things Americans canā€™t in a way , political correctness isnā€™t as big in the uk I donā€™t think .
And you must of met an English man from the south lol I sound like a sober ozzy Osborne ahahah

How would anyone know what that sounds like? :lol:
Ahahaha probably nobody living has heard a sober ozzy
I think Americans are closest to Britā€™s culture wise mainly because we copy everything the USA does from music to food to even gang culture , I think itā€™s because the movie industry is dominated by America and us brits are smothered in American culture, not negatively just we see a lot more of America and itā€™s culture on tv and internet than Iā€™d guess America sees of British culture

What started off as a friendly chat has turned into a political argument. I have deleted the offending posts (I think I got them all!) and I am going to lock this thread. Some of you need to read the forum rules again. If you want to discuss contentious, political issues, please do so elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back