Hand Sanitisers & Aquariums?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

And in South Africa I have seen drunk elephants (marula berries).

Have heard of elk getting drunk from certain fermenting fruits in Sweden I think.

This thread goes in weird tangents :rofl: great advice though you deal with contamination.

Throwing an excess of carbon in, fresh water, and replacement of all equipment should be standard "treatment" for any kind of poisoning and contamination.

Another member on here is dealing with poisoning from the wrong kind of silicone. Ive offered the same advice to them.

Point here though is for members to be wary of what's on their hands and what to do if possible of this scenario in others.
I'm grateful ive got surviving fish, I wish it could have not happened, and it sucks seeing fish blinded now that will affect their lives, but if what happened here can help someone else, then perhaps the fish I lost weren't in vain.
Itā€™s definitely helpful and thank you for your advice. We can only learn from other peoples mistakes and itā€™s definitely not in vain. I canā€™t really tell if itā€™s from the silicone or what considering Iā€™ve had others comment saying theyā€™ve used it with no negative outcomes in their tank but it was definitely poisoning of some sort. Thanks to your advice I have some survivors and I knew exactly what to do to make things safe for them again. I truly appreciate your advice more than you know and Iā€™m sure others will down the line.

Itā€™s definitely helpful and thank you for your advice. We can only learn from other peoples mistakes and itā€™s definitely not in vain. I canā€™t really tell if itā€™s from the silicone or what considering Iā€™ve had others comment saying theyā€™ve used it with no negative outcomes in their tank but it was definitely poisoning of some sort. Thanks to your advice I have some survivors and I knew exactly what to do to make things safe for them again. I truly appreciate your advice more than you know and Iā€™m sure others will down the line.
In this hobby we have to help one another during the hard times. So if I'm helping in any way, I'm glad :)

Was doing some digging into hand sanitizer ingredients and found something worth noting.
Screenshot_20201120-194035_Samsung Internet.jpg

Came across this ingredient, link here
with screenshots from it
Screenshot_20201120-194406_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20201120-194440_Samsung Internet.jpg

My WHIMIS training immediately recognized this one as harmful to the environment.
Screenshot_20201120-194506_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've already identified the Benzalkonium Chloride as being the most likely culprit.
Triclosan is often found in mouth washes.
Yes I recall now you did! Derp lol but it backs up what you said too.

Reactions: kwi
Financially this is a hit, over $200 in plants alone, heck knows other equipment.

If I lose more fish to this, it'll be even higher, this tank had my expensive fish in it. 2 of those cories in this tank I paid $100 for alone.

But its the emotional hit thats the worst. The plants and equipment can all be replaced, even if it takes some time. Ive kept some spare equipment too for emergencies, I can pull filter media from other tanks so no loss of cycle. I can rebuild all that.

But these fish had names. They weren't just something to look at and enjoy, they were individuals, they were pets and family.

I dont know. The stores we went to make you sanitize upon entry will all sorts of industrial sterilizers. Not all are even alcohol based. We hit a few stores to get groceries and such :/

Due to the covid 19 thatā€™s happening currently, there lots of folks, myself included now use hand sanitisers quite a number of times during the day every day

Have been reading about hand sanitisers and the ingredients of those seem to be high in alcohol and Aloe Vera as swell as other chemicals that helps deodorise smells etc

Obviously those are dangerous for our fishy friends.

If one was routinely using hand sanitiser gel throughout the day and forget to rinse or wash hands before putting hands into our aquarium, is this truly dangerous for our livestock?

What cures or recommendations would you suggest if something like this was to happen to one of our members?

For example I would suggest the following-

Large water changes
Adding active carbon

Would even moving the livestock to a new tank be recommended as would the hand sanitiser cling on surfaces in the aquarium?

Also will the beneficial bacteria and/or filter media be affected?

Lots of questions and not much answers from my google searches so far.

Hello All, after reading through the posts and seeing the photos of all the loss and destruction, my heart is breaking. I did some quick research and found many Aquaristā€™s responses simply saying to be sure wash your hands. How easy does that sound? Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Those of you with children for example have an especially difficult time with this ā€˜easyā€™ concept. I know, because I had a child who is now an adult and getting him to wash his hands was nearly impossible at times because he was a little boy. Iā€™ve attached a link that talks about the potential for our fishes and other marine life perishing from alcohol poisoning.
One thing that I do is I take a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me where ever I go and I only use that on my hands. At least I know the ingredients of what I am using.

I actually thought about this long before Corona Virus because I also have a Reef Aquarium and I canā€™t mix my salt water products, pumps, tubes, buckets, etc. with my Freshwater stuff.
Remember to wash your arms as well as your hands before handling your fishes, tanks, food, etc.
There are so many wonderful rewards we get from our lovely little creatures and we gotta give them a chance to thrive in their captive environments.
Take Care & Stay Safe JL

This link may have Advertisements that are not okay for Kids...you know how the Internet is. Please screen it before you pass it along.

Due to the covid 19 thatā€™s happening currently, there lots of folks, myself included now use hand sanitisers quite a number of times during the day every day

Have been reading about hand sanitisers and the ingredients of those seem to be high in alcohol and Aloe Vera as swell as other chemicals that helps deodorise smells etc

Obviously those are dangerous for our fishy friends.

If one was routinely using hand sanitiser gel throughout the day and forget to rinse or wash hands before putting hands into our aquarium, is this truly dangerous for our livestock?

What cures or recommendations would you suggest if something like this was to happen to one of our members?

For example I would suggest the following-

Large water changes
Adding active carbon

Would even moving the livestock to a new tank be recommended as would the hand sanitiser cling on surfaces in the aquarium?

Also will the beneficial bacteria and/or filter media be affected?

Lots of questions and not much answers from my google searches so far.
They've been moved to a tote. Brand new, cycled sponge pulled from my other tank. Carbon sitting in the tote with them.

Transfered to fresh new water 3 times before moving them in here, to try to "wash" anything off them.

Couple more of the cories showing some bleeding in the heads, but not at the levels the others were.
View attachment 120346
i am so sorry about you losing your Fishes. I have been reading these posts and have been looking at the photos throughout the day. I put a post out here earlier with a link talking about alcohol poisoning to fishes from hand sanitizer, but I canā€™t seem to find it. In any event, apparently the alcohol may not disappear or become diluted as some might believe. I donā€™t think it is clear or widely known yet exactly what the problem is with hand sanitizer as it pertains specifically to freshwater fishes.
With Kidlings, it is difficult. My son is now an adult, but he was a little boy at one time and I remember well what it was like trying to explain the many reasons why he needed to wash his hands. As they get older, it will become easier.
Best of luck to you in getting this sorted out.

I put a post out here earlier with a link talking about alcohol poisoning to fishes from hand sanitizer, but I canā€™t seem to find it.
Your previous post was inside the quotes from the other members. I have edited your post to tidy the [ ] brackets around the quotes so your post in now separate from them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back