Hand Sanitisers & Aquariums?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The quantities of alcohol that are bad for people are way in excess of what you are ever going to get in a fish tank. I think we should stop comparing humans with fish they are completely different organisms.

ohhhhh *hugs*, this is so devastating to have such terrible long-term effects from this mess. I'm so sorry.

One would think that fish would provide a welcome respite from covid and the widlfires and all the other craziness that is going on worldwide, but it is so unjust that the littlest, least assuming ones also get hit by 2020... It has truly been a year....

Hang in there, and take care of yourself and your family. We will all pull through these storms...

The quantities of alcohol that are bad for people are way in excess of what you are ever going to get in a fish tank. I think we should stop comparing humans with fish they are completely different organisms.
Seems even the smallest amount does more damage to them than it would for humans, given we would legit have to drink a good portion of the bottle to see some deadly or long term affects in humans.

They're smaller and things would affect them differently yes.

Not a dig at you, I understand your point .

Don’t think most of these comments on this thread are actually meant for comparing human v fish.

But of course it is useful to know if something is proven to be harmful to humans then undoubtedly it will likely be even more harmful for aquarium livestock.

It is after all human nature to compare ourselves to most living things for comparison for just about anything.

Things will effect fish differently than humans. I have been told before on this forum site that I can't make statements without having some scientific research to back it up. As far as I can see there have been no biopsies down on the cells of these fish to determine exactly what the cause of death is, so everything on this thread is just a guess. And we need to be careful what we are saying and advising others to do. Giving out treatment advise for something we don't know about is a dangerous path to go down.

Last edited:
Indeed, I concur with this, it’s difficult sometimes when it comes to the science behind certain things and think this may be one of those sort of things here regarding the harm of hand sanitiser between humans and aquarium livestock.

But from what I’ve seen and heard, think it pays for all of us to err on the side of caution that it’s best practice to wash and rinse our hand and arms thoroughly before immersing them into our tanks.

Of course it’s easy to forget this and accidents do happen.

But for simplicity sake, always better to be safe than sorry.

Throwing an excess of carbon in, fresh water, and replacement of all equipment should be standard "treatment" for any kind of poisoning and contamination.

Another member on here is dealing with poisoning from the wrong kind of silicone. Ive offered the same advice to them.

Point here though is for members to be wary of what's on their hands and what to do if possible of this scenario in others.
I'm grateful ive got surviving fish, I wish it could have not happened, and it sucks seeing fish blinded now that will affect their lives, but if what happened here can help someone else, then perhaps the fish I lost weren't in vain.

Just a little thing with activated carbon. It works best with a positive water flow, so the best place to put it is in your filter.

How sad. Did you try treating for cloudy eye just in case???

How sad. Did you try treating for cloudy eye just in case???
Yes, when it first appeared, but it did nothing. Treated with Neomycin. Only antibiotics I have on hand and able to get a hold of.

Just a little thing with activated carbon. It works best with a positive water flow, so the best place to put it is in your filter.
Yes.
But with a sponge filter, I placed it above the outflow as next best thing

The quantities of alcohol that are bad for people are way in excess of what you are ever going to get in a fish tank.
true but humans are the only animal on the planet that regularly consumes it. Most animals can live there entire life without ever coming in contact with it. So over the thousands of years we probably have developed a genetic tolerance that most animals don't have So the amount we need to get really drunk without serious long term effects is probably much much larger than what most animals can tolerate.

Prior to the last 100 years, alcohol consumption among humans was quite low with less than 5% of people drinking it, and the percentage of alcohol was lower. These days over 40% of people living in modern cities and towns drink alcohol at least once a week and many drink daily.

We have no genetic tolerance to alcohol, which is a poison and does damage to our cells. Alcohol draws moisture out of the cells and dehydrates us. That is why people have a hangover after drinking lots. The hangover is caused by dehydrated brain cells and other cells in the body. Dehydration, especially if it happens regularly can cause all sorts of long term health problems.

Colin_T is not a hundred percent accurate in his description above. The body actually produces ethanol and alcohol is one of the least toxic things you can put in your body. You can find out more by researching Alcohol and the human metabolism.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back