Hand Sanitisers & Aquariums?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I am soo sorry, NC!

I cannot say anything that can make it better for you and your kid. Perhaps you can write a voucher with the grounding and give it to him when he is old enough, then it will be the memory of a good lesson... :-(

I know this is the daily mail, Not the most reliable paper, but It seems to be reported elsewhere.

It is probably the Alcohol itself, 70% alcohols massively toxic, imagine having a shot of absinthe and how you would feel
It seems like it. Denatured alcohol is toxic and it is listed as the main ingredient.

They've been moved to a tote. Brand new, cycled sponge pulled from my other tank. Carbon sitting in the tote with them.

Transfered to fresh new water 3 times before moving them in here, to try to "wash" anything off them.

Couple more of the cories showing some bleeding in the heads, but not at the levels the others were.
20201020_193022.jpg

Oh, so sorry to read this, NCAquatics. When things go wrong in an aquarium, they can go wrong fast. Fingers crossed the rest of your fish survive.

It's a sobering reminder to be super careful at the moment.

I feel your pain. Losing even one fish hurts but to lose so many all at once...I can't imagine how you feel. With time, you'll get back on track and will be so much more cautious in the future.

Last edited:
I noticed the bottle on here says keep away from children. If this stuff is that deadly to fish is it safe for humans to use it. My first comment on this thread was based on personal experience, I have been using hand sanitizers since the mid 1990's without a problem. We are highly regulated here in New Zealand and I can't imagine anything that deadly being allowed on the market. By the way I also don't sanitize my hands and put them in a tank. I am sorry for your losses, it is a pity there are not warnings on these products.

Last edited:
Not all hand sanitizers are safe. If your hand sanitizer contains, methanol you should not use it.
Read all about hand sanitizers in this question and answer FDA info sheet.

I feel your pain. Losing even one fish hurts but to lose so many all at once...I can't imagine how you feel. With time, you'll get back on track and will be so much more cautious in the future.
I'm trying to push forward. I've got the fish situated in a tote with a filter taken from a different tank so I dont have to worry about a cycle (this is why I run more than 1 filter on tanks, thank God.)

Watching the ones with some symptoms close.

Rinse, rinse, rinse the plants and sit with carbon, rinse some more.

this weekend my husband is going to help me take the 55 off the dresser and wash it out, then gonna fill it and let it sit with carbon for a week, daily water changes as well to rinse it out.

Re: sanitizers

Problem is I dont know the ingredients of the ones the stores use at their doors, you know, the people stand at the entrances and make sure you sanitize your hands before walking in the store? Big industrial bottles?
Yeah, several rounds of those.

There are 3 more with some internal bleeding showing, I've got my eye on them.
But they've eaten and perked up a little bit, so thats something positive at least.
20201021_000511.jpg

20201021_000436.jpg

The ones showing signs still
20201021_000609.jpg
20201021_000626.jpg
20201021_000520.jpg

The last one is one of my babies I personally raised too :/

Stock on this tank was:
6 cherry barbs
6 melon barbs
3 hoplosternum punctatum catfish
1 BN pleco
33 corydoras, but 6 of these have been lost so far.

Cories are more sensitive to things, so it makes sense they'd be hit hardest/first

There are 3 more with some internal bleeding showing, I've got my eye on them.
But they've eaten and perked up a little bit, so thats something positive at least.
View attachment 120359
View attachment 120360

The ones showing signs still
View attachment 120356View attachment 120357View attachment 120358

The last one is one of my babies I personally raised too :/

Stock on this tank was:
6 cherry barbs
6 melon barbs
3 hoplosternum punctatum catfish
1 BN pleco
33 corydoras, but 6 of these have been lost so far.

Cories are more sensitive to things, so it makes sense they'd be hit hardest/first
I'm so sorry, my heart is breaking for you :-( I'm sure that most of us thought that the trace amounts of sanitiser on hands, especially tiny kids hands might be bad, but had no idea it could be this bad. It's a sobering reality we're all going to need to be aware of, especially people with children.

I know how much you love every one of these fish, that you know each individual cory and raised many of them yourself, I'm so sorry for your pain. :( Hoping the others pull through, it's wonderful that they're perking up from the clean water though.

@essjay what was the name of that pricey product that could be added to a filter after running carbon for a while that might help absorb chemicals again? Think it began with a P? Think it's worth trying in this case once the tank has been cleaned to help remove any traces?

I'm so sorry, my heart is breaking for you :-( I'm sure that most of us thought that the trace amounts of sanitiser on hands, especially tiny kids hands might be bad, but had no idea it could be this bad. It's a sobering reality we're all going to need to be aware of, especially people with children.

I know how much you love every one of these fish, that you know each individual cory and raised many of them yourself, I'm so sorry for your pain. :( Hoping the others pull through, it's wonderful that they're perking up from the clean water though.

@essjay what was the name of that pricey product that could be added to a filter after running carbon for a while that might help absorb chemicals again? Think it began with a P? Think it's worth trying in this case once the tank has been cleaned to help remove any traces?

Think you’re thinking of Seachem Purigen, it’s a synthetic adsorbent which may help in removing harmful substances from the water column.

Not a bad suggestion as it happens.

5578A9EC-64E2-456D-9CB2-79BB20472AA3.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back