hand fed oscar

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Nope not at all. I hand feed all of my fish. Kirsten was hand feeding her Oscar within a few days of first getting him.

we handfeed ours, and when I am doing water changes mine even brush up against me like my cat when it wants to be petted :p

smb, if you hand feed your piranah you're braver then I! :smb: ;)

It's been a long time since I've had my Oscar, but I had fed him too, and intend to do the same for the Jags I'm raising right now.

thecichlidaddict said:
smb, if you hand feed your piranah you're braver then I! :smb: ;)
LOL, actually I always have but I'm a lot more careful with them. It's gotten scary a few times. :eek:

I hand fed my Oscar but now he eems to have developed a nervous disposition as he sinks like a stone whenever I open the lid?? Hes fine at all other times though?? :blink:

Are piranah really as vicious as they make out on thing like bond?

If you put your hand in the tank would you come out with your skin hanging off or even a little nip or would they ignore it??

Just curious cos I've got a clever plan to take over the world and if the secret agent infiltrates my bass I need to know whether to fill my moat with piranah or sharks : :lol:

yeah, i love to hand feed my fish! :D

my tigers go crazy if I hold a bloodworm pellet in th water, my livebearers used to eat out of my hand and I am training my bettas too..one of them will take a little jump out of the water to get food and will attack my finger like crazy if I put food on it...he has got so used to it, he follows my finger round, food or no food.... :wub: silly thing!! :rolleyes:

kev said:
Are piranah really as vicious as they make out on thing like bond?

If you put your hand in the tank would you come out with your skin hanging off or even a little nip or would they ignore it??

Just curious cos I've got a clever plan to take over the world and if the secret agent infiltrates my bass I need to know whether to fill my moat with piranah or sharks : :lol:
No they aren't as bad as what the public is led to believe. Not even close, imo.

CAN it happen? Yes. They have such sharp teeth that they used to be used as scissors and their jaw strength is phenominal. I've read that a full grow Serrasalmus rhombeus (black rhom) that is 18" can sever a mans wrists in 2-3 bites.

IMO, it would be a 1 in a million chance of that happening. They are a lot more willing to attack you if they are hungry. I've seen 2 cases where they weren't fed for a week or so and one red-belly piranha took off all the meat on a guys palm in one bite and another where a rbp almost completely severed someones finger in one bite but this is in the minority. You shouldn't be putting your hand in a tank of starving piranhas anyways. Feed them before cleaning is good commen sense.

They are shy fish and I've never been bit in all the time I've kept them but I also know them very well. I can just tell by the way they swim and even lean if it's safe. IMO, they get a bad rap. If they're well fed they're lil babies.

Most reactions

Back