hamsters

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

asianxbabyxb0i

Reaction score
would pet stores ever sell hamsters with rabies? cause i got bit by mines n i was bleeding for little. scared i might get rabies.

you have nothing to worry about. There is virtually no chance that that animal came in contact with rabies. You should, however, disinfect the wound, and wrap it, to prevent secondary infection.

I agree with Calusa. U don't have to worry about that.

If u r a new comer to keeping hamsters, u might want to read more about handling a hamster.

Hamsters only bite if frightened, irritated or badly handled. Patience is the key!

U can check out more on hamster information HERE.

HTH! :D

Actually, I'm a very experienced hamser keeper (I've bred and shown hamsters for years) and I get bitten all the time - it comes with the territory. Until they're tame, a hamster's natural instincts are to protect themselves from the "hawk" that just swooped down onto their cage, and they will squeak and bite.

Obviously, if you have hundreds of hamsters you can't handle every single one, every day, so you generally handle the best specimens that you want to show (biting the judge is not a good way to earn points! ). That means quite a few of your animals are rarely handled and quite vicious. But they tame very quickly - it usually took me a couple of weeks of intensive effort, handling them every day.

My point is that despite the dozens or hundreds of bites I've received, I've only ever had one that got infected and that was because the hamster punctured my thumbnail. They don't transmit rabies because they are loners and completely domesticated and would never come into contact with the virus. The infection I got was staphylococcus, which is a germ on your skin all the time anyway.

unless that hamster took a little trip into the wild, he doesn't have rabies. i have a hamster about 10 years ago, and he was a cranky bugger. he'd bite almost daily, and occasionally draw blood. he was just scared. didn't help that my dog at the time, would constantly bark at him and try to get to the cage, he was always stressed out.

Most reactions

Back