hamsters,will they be ok in a shed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

b.c.f.c

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ive got 2 hamsters,one male called bruce and 1 female called ople,there both syrian and about 7 or 8 months old.they have started to smell real bad the past couple of months,and we have just got a new shed so i have put them in there.but the thing im worried about is in the winter,will they get to cold and die,or will they go in to hibernation (sp) which im guessing might be bad for them as they have always been kept in the house.i live in england and the weather can get quiet bad in the winter some times.i rearly didnt want to put them out side but theres no other way except from rehomeing them.my mom said if they dont stop smelling and kicking there saw dust out there cages we will have to find them new homes which i rearly dont want to have to do.at the moment its ok because it summer going in to autum and the weather is still ok.any help would be great thx. :)

In an unheated shed they will hibernate, then die.
They MUST be kept indoors.
Hamsters should not smell, if they do then they need to be cleaned out more often. Twice a week is the minimum really.

If they are cleaned out regulaly but still smell, then it's possible that they are unwell. Hamsters are prone to a disease called 'wet tail' which is an infection of their back end and can smell very very bad indeed.

b.c.f.c said:
ive got 2 hamsters,one male called bruce and 1 female called ople,there both syrian and about 7 or 8 months old.they have started to smell real bad the past couple of months,and we have just got a new shed so i have put them in there.but the thing im worried about is in the winter,will they get to cold and die,or will they go in to hibernation (sp) which im guessing might be bad for them as they have always been kept in the house.i live in england and the weather can get quiet bad in the winter some times.i rearly didnt want to put them out side but theres no other way except from rehomeing them.my mom said if they dont stop smelling and kicking there saw dust out there cages we will have to find them new homes which i rearly dont want to have to do.at the moment its ok because it summer going in to autum and the weather is still ok.any help would be great thx. :)
[snapback]871502[/snapback]​
Are you keeping them together in the same cage? How often are you cleaning out and what with. Hamsters are clean animals and rarely smell, their urine smells and a good tip is to put a glass jar in the corner they use as their toilet so you can clean it daily without having to do a complete sawdust change. You can also get cages with deep sides to stop the sawdust being chucked out. I would not keep them in the shed - they are desert animals and best in centrally heated environments.

of course there in sepeate cages and kept away from each other except now becus there in the shed.i clean them out 1 once a week and change there bedding and wee corner twice a week.i dont use a jar as i clean it out twice a week and its easy that way.i clean them out with hot water and use normal saw dust.only 1 of them kick the saw dust out which is the female,its not that its not deep sides,iv had lots of different cages with deep trays but she just loves digging.im bringing them in when it gets cold and leave them in the shed on warm nights,i think that will be ok if not then tell me as i dont want them to be unhappy.thx a lot any way. :D

About the sawdust thing - maybe if you put the cages onto some newspaper or an old towel or something, and then vauum it / take it outside and shake it every other day? Then at least there won't be sawdust on the floor all the time :/

And with the shed, well I live in England too, and I wouldn't put them in a shed - it's a bit too cold in winter :dunno: I think you'll just have to clean them out more often...

Hi i keep my hamster in the shed she has been in there about two years now and is in perfect health. In the winter i give her plenty of bedding and she is just fine. Very happy and loves her food LOL

i with RSZ on this - England is too cold in the winter for hamsters - even summers night can get chilly - their natural habitat is hot and they bury themseves deep undergound - i would not risk it. You can buy deoderising cleaner and scented sawdust is good - can get it in pine - that helps alot. Having kept hamsters for years I have always kept them indoors and would never contemplate putting them in sheds/garages etc.

well i have just been in the shed to feed them and check them out for wet tail as some one said that may be the smell but they seem ok.it seems fairly warm in there well i would sleep in there except it wouldnt be that comfortable :p .im gojng to see how it goes.when it starts getting colder i will add extra bedding and im going to bring them in most of the winter.lets just hope every things ok.fingers crossed. :)

They should be fine at this time of year with plenty of bedding, but will definately die when the weather drops colder if the shed isn't heated. For the smell, try keeping them on cat litter (the pelleted or paper based sort) i found it to be better at absorbing smells when i kept mice. I now keep my hamster, rabbit and guinea pigs on megazorb which is also better than wood shavings as it doesn't iritate their skin and is a lot less dusty than shavings. (it is a bedding sold for horses).

Emma

u can also find a big box and put the cage in their to block the sawdust from hitting the floor then when u clean it shake out the box.i do that with my 2 gerbils and it works.Also i dont think u can put them in the shed its 2 cold in winter

ye i think im going to bring them in ,in the winter and outside in the summer with plenty of bedding.im going to try some of the things you guys have said like puttting the cage on a towel or in a box and see how it goes.and about the cat little thing,does it rearly work.ive got tuns of the stuff in my house and im going to give it a try. ;) any ways thx for all the info its very much appriciated (sp) :S

I have 4 hamsters and they are messy and need to be cleaned atleast once a week, and I dont' keep them on saw dust, it's bad for them. There's bedding called carefresh, which is healthy for them. And I would never ever put them in a shed, even in the summer, it's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I say no to the shed idea. Just clean them more often, line the bottom of the cages with news paper and try a different bedding. Before shoving them out in a shed.

i have the door open in the day when its hot,as my sister plays in the garden and all her toys are in there so shes in and out with the door kept open with a door stop. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back