Half-filled Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Esfa

Shrimpy Shrimp
Reaction score
So I've got a small tank, I think it's around 5gal :D It for small reptiles ans things like that, so it's got airholes about halfway up, so i cant fill it completely.

so i'm thinking of filling the bottom with pieces of bogwood, and attatching some plants with the roots in the water, and the leaves above water.

What plants will do well like this? I know that anubias and crypts will, but is there anything else?

cheers :good:

So I've got a small tank, I think it's around 5gal :D It for small reptiles ans things like that, so it's got airholes about halfway up, so i cant fill it completely.

so i'm thinking of filling the bottom with pieces of bogwood, and attatching some plants with the roots in the water, and the leaves above water.

What plants will do well like this? I know that anubias and crypts will, but is there anything else?

cheers :good:

Bacopa will also grow this way, but it needs a substrate. Crypts need substrate as well. Some more terrestrial mosses, like probably a fissidens species, which may not be aquatic, but will possibly grow in this setting very well.

Bacopa will also grow this way, but it needs a substrate. Crypts need substrate as well. Some more terrestrial mosses, like probably a fissidens species, which may not be aquatic, but will possibly grow in this setting very well.

cheers :D what sort of substrate do you suggest?

cheers :D what sort of substrate do you suggest?

Depends on how much light. I grow both species very well with just plain small-grain gravel, with a rootab or two for the crypts. You going to put any livestock in it?

Depends on how much light. I grow both species very well with just plain small-grain gravel, with a rootab or two for the crypts. You going to put any livestock in it?

lol well, it's just going to be on a window sill, and get natural light. :blush:

I'm now thinking of siliconing the holes up and having it nearly all full, with just a few bits of anubias poking out the water... i think this would be better.

probably no livestock... there's no filter and some of the bits of wood might be a bit dodgy, i just picked them or from our paddock this morning.

Was this tank originally designed for use as an aquarium or a viv?

If it was designed to hold reptiles then the glass may not be thick or strong enough to hold water safely.

Was this tank originally designed for use as an aquarium or a viv?

If it was designed to hold reptiles then the glass may not be thick or strong enough to hold water safely.

viv, but the glass on the bottom is thicker then the glass on my other 5gal. :good:

I've set it all up now :D looks pretty good. using sand as a substrate.

I dont think it's going to work, though :(

meh, after fiddling about with this for a few hours, i've realised it's not going to work at all :(

Most reactions

Back