Hair, Fuzz, Beard Algae...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishSticks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello I have a 55 gallon aquarium that has been running for about 4 weeks. I haven't added any fertilizer and I have no Co2 system and I upgraded from 30 Watts to 128 watts of lighting 2 weeks ago. :thumbs: I have this algae growing on my driftwood and the Java Ferns planted on them, now spreading to most of my other plants and glass.

The algae is about 2-3" long where there is a high water flow from the filter and everywhere else it's less than 1". I had a Pleco in there for about a week but it totally ignored the stuff, I recently bought a Whiptail Cat (Farlowella acus). It was recommended by my lfs for algae control and it did a great job on the glass but, again, this annoying algae on my plants was ignored! :crazy: I don't know what fish to get to get rid of the algae? :no: Has anyone had any luck with fish that eat this type of algae?

It could be the sudden burst of light. I''ve never had the algae hopefully someone can help you.

No...no... It's not that :no: I've been having this algae way way before I upgraded my lighting, the only thing that the higher wattage did was turn this algae a darker green!

switch the lights off........ for three days.. this hopefully will put a dent into the aglae growth. Then start by swithing the light on for only 6 hours a day. if it look like your algae slow down its growth or the wiptail eats more algae then they grow, set the lights for 7 hours a day .. then 8 hours then 9 hours then 10 hour or till you get to a time limit where you have as much plant growth as possible without letting the algae take over the tank.

wont switching the lights of for three days solid harm the plants aswell.......

I have 5 Ottos in my tank and the do there fair share of algae munching but they touch nothing over a few mm's.

try getting some fast growing plants to try and out compete the algae, also reduce you lighting period to about 6 hours like Silly Me said. That should have a large inplact on the algae growth.

FishSticks said:
No...no... It's not that :no: I've been having this algae way way before I upgraded my lighting, the only thing that the higher wattage did was turn this algae a darker green!
What are the water parameters? Most fish dont eat algae when its grown long. If you can clean up the algae, I am sure your fish will keep it clean going forward.

I actually don't have anything but ammonia tests :whistle: And believe me I've tried taking off the algae it's like part of the plant now. I've actually tried something similiar to what you're suggesting...

I reduced the lighting by turning off the backlights and only leaving the front ones on. Well, what happened was that all the algae went back to brown algae and my water sprites turned black and died off. :crazy: I only did this for like 1 week before deciding to turn all the lights on, my water sprite is coming back pretty fast.

I have 5 Ottos in my tank and the do there fair share of algae munching but they touch nothing over a few mm's.
I don't get it, is it a joke? :*) I haven't tried oto's yet, would they eat hair algae?

Fishsticks:

If the algae is so stubborn you could try dipping the plants in bleach (1:20) for 30secs and then cleaning them in dechlorinated water.

add some duckweed/frogbit/riccia or other floating plant and they will go mad and absorb all the nutrients leaving the tank algae free
course then you have to get rid of them eventually as they go mad

add some duckweed/frogbit/riccia or other floating plant and they will go mad and absorb all the nutrients leaving the tank algae free
I really think adding some floating plants will help by blocking some of the light and absorbing the excess nutrients, but I can't seem to find any of these plants at my lfs!!!!! :sad:

I'm going to give it one more try and buy a couple oto's and reduce my lighting from 14 to 12 hours...If that doesn't work I'll just have to start ripping apart my tank :crazy: Trust me this algae won't just slide off...If I try to remove it, my plant's leafs will come right with it! I will try ALL of your suggestions until I get rid of the algae, Thanks everyone! :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Back