Had to rescue a fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I went to go do my last feeding of the day for my fry and found one of my pygmy fry tangled in the moss.

20200806_201928.jpg

Pulled the moss and he couldn't get free, I snipped him off the moss but he still had a piece tangled on him, but until I figured out a plan I placed him back in the tank.
20200806_202001.jpg

Ended up placing him on a paper towel soaked with tank water, used a pipette to flush water over him to keep him wet and keep him breathing. Used fine tipped tweezers to grab the moss piece...
Turned out a thread of staghorn algae got wrapped around his gills. I had to very carefully unravel it while keeping constant water flushing over him.
20200806_202926.jpg

20200806_203001.jpg

But got it off and hes back in the fry tank. He seems a bit stressed, but at least he is alive and free from the tangle.
20200806_203756.jpg
20200806_203725.jpg

Watch your moss in fry tanks apparently. What a freak thing.

Oh wow! It's a good thing you spotted him when you did.

I'm so impressed at your improvised operation - way to keep a cool head and think things through! The tank water power towel, a pipette to flush over his gills - you seem like a great person to have around in an emergency :)

Not surprised the poor little fella is stressed, but I'm sure he'll bounce back thanks to your efforts.

I went to go do my last feeding of the day for my fry and found one of my pygmy fry tangled in the moss.

View attachment 112032

Pulled the moss and he couldn't get free, I snipped him off the moss but he still had a piece tangled on him, but until I figured out a plan I placed him back in the tank.
View attachment 112033

Ended up placing him on a paper towel soaked with tank water, used a pipette to flush water over him to keep him wet and keep him breathing. Used fine tipped tweezers to grab the moss piece...
Turned out a thread of staghorn algae got wrapped around his gills. I had to very carefully unravel it while keeping constant water flushing over him.
View attachment 112034
View attachment 112040

But got it off and hes back in the fry tank. He seems a bit stressed, but at least he is alive and free from the tangle.
View attachment 112035View attachment 112036

That is Crazy!!! If you hadn't seen him, he probably wouldn't have made it...

Oh wow! It's a good thing you spotted him when you did.

I'm so impressed at your improvised operation - way to keep a cool head and think things through! The tank water power towel, a pipette to flush over his gills - you seem like a great person to have around in an emergency :)

Not surprised the poor little fella is stressed, but I'm sure he'll bounce back thanks to your efforts.
Internally I was freaking out. Hes so small, and I cant even SEE where the thread was. In hindsight, maybe I should have had my glasses on, but at least its off of him. Now I just gotta hope there's no damage in his gills from this.

View attachment 112032

View attachment 112033

View attachment 112034
View attachment 112040

View attachment 112035View attachment 112036

Lucky fry. Great job!

he is still doing good as of today, so I'm thinking all is good.

Just considering removing the moss, or if I should leave it as it was just a freak thing to happen.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back