Guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Paiger

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how long this guppy has before giving birth?

Attachments

• EE5DE35F-78AF-4EE3-8FDD-EF2178C80F72.jpeg
    EE5DE35F-78AF-4EE3-8FDD-EF2178C80F72.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 711
Not that long by the look of her, could be tomorrow, could be a few days. But this is a guestimate, because it can be really hard to tell sometimes. I don't recommend keeping her in a breeder box though, those stress them out, and stress is not good in labour for any animal. Better to let her birth in the main tank, provide plenty of plant for the fry to hide, then scoop the fry into the breeder box to raise them for 2-3 weeks in there, then put them back into main tank. Or transfer them straight to a grow out tank.

Thank you! Hopefully wonā€™t be long, I only put her in there to take the photo. Iā€™m keeping a close eye ready to scope them up

I canā€™t see any fry in the tank. Does she look like sheā€™s had them?

Attachments

• 17EB952E-3CDE-4F9C-BF4B-AC2CE6B7AC02.jpeg
    17EB952E-3CDE-4F9C-BF4B-AC2CE6B7AC02.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 48
I canā€™t see any fry in the tank. Does she look like sheā€™s had them?
Possibly, at least some of them. Or maybe not, if she'd been fed recently before the first photo, and not so recently in the second, that could account for the size difference. Did you add some plant to the tank for hiding spots? Look for fry at the surface, and down hiding among the gravel and any decor.

If not, it's possible they were eaten I'm afraid :( Other fish including the mother will eat fry.
She doesn't look like she's done, sometimes they continue dropping fry over hours, even a couple of days, so you could try putting her back in the breeder box if it doesn't stress her out too much, or just keep a closer eye to see if she drops more.

Even if you don't get survivors this time, you have more than one female guppy in there, you will get more every month until you don't know what to do with them all! Lots of plant mass and well fed adults in the tank is the key to raising fry in a community tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back