Guppy with large "abdo"

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JIP2023

Reaction score
Hi, I've had some great advice from this forum before so I thought I'd try again.
We've had our guppies for around a month. All male (as far as I know).
One has recently grown what looks lime a huge stomach.
Fed once every 2 days at the min.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230929_190154.jpg
    20230929_190154.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230929_190138.jpg
    20230929_190138.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 25
Have you noticed what it's poop looks like? Has it ballooned all of a sudden or has it been a gradual thing? Have you treated them for internal parasites? What do you feed? 🤔 trying to think of all the questions...

If it got fat over a period of time, it could have intestinal worms, a tumour or a cysts. You can try deworming the fish but if it continues to get fatter then it's a tumour or cyst and there's no cure. You simply leave the fish until it can't eat or swim properly, then euthanise it.

Section 3 of the following link has info on deworming fish

Have you noticed what it's poop looks like? Has it ballooned all of a sudden or has it been a gradual thing? Have you treated them for internal parasites? What do you feed? 🤔 trying to think of all the questions...
Yes, a bit more information would certainly help...

In the 2nd picture, the one on top of "big belly" doesn't look healthy either... but you have some of the best in this thread already, so just my observations, I'll let them diagnose

In the 2nd picture, the one on top of "big belly" doesn't look healthy either... but you have some of the best in this thread already, so just my observations, I'll let them diagnose
I think that might be it's own reflection 🤭

It could be bloat. But if you're just feeding them every other day, bloat seems more unlikely. But yes, it could be something that Colin has already mentioned. And check if no other fish has got the same symptoms. I'd leave him as long as he still swims correctly and will eat normal. Once that stops, help him out to the eternal waters.

silly me... looking at little pictures on my phone...
Not that long ago when I was walking downtown, I thought someone was following me the whole time. I was wondering what idiot could that be. Turned out that I was seeing my own reflection in the windows of the stores in the corner of my eye... ;)

Most reactions

Back