guppy, what to do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

brookie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a small 2 gal tank. i bought a pair of guppies (josh and emily). josh died from a bizar and uncureable death so i got 1 more guppy(michael) cause emily was swimming frantically around by her self. michael died 3 days later. starting at his tail and going half way through his body became transparent and lost all color (its not my fault my mom was looking after them ) emily is still alive and about 2 weeks int her pregnancy. by the way she started getting the disease michael had and i cured with mela fix. i am also setting up a 10 gal tank for a comunity. should i gtet her a friend or wait until after her children are born? upset at the loses :sad:

Frankly, with the troubles you've got, I'd hold off buying anything new. Make sure she has some cover, plants etc., and get your larger tank set up and cycled before you buy anything else.

Lateral Line said:
I'd hold off buying anything new. Make sure she has some cover, plants etc., and get your larger tank set up and cycled before you buy anything else.
Deffinitely. ;)

1- Go to the Beginner Questions Forum, and pretty much read all of the pinned articles, especially Avoiding and Treating New Tank Syndrome, and Fish Disseases.

2- The medical treatment you've started should be continued, for up to 10 days, to insure you've gotten rid of whatever it is that is killing your fish.

3- Try to ascertain the condition of your water. Maybe your problem is not "germs", but ammonia, or something chemical.

4- Do a 25% water change before medicating, beginning yesterday (change half a gal, in your case). Repeat weekly. Check the quality of water going in (no chlorine!).

5- If you don't already, try getting some live plants in there. They'll serve as cover for your babies (fry), as the mother will attempt to eat them. Also, plants are able to deal with some of the chemical imbalances in your tank. Some even secrete antibiotical substances.

6- Maintain constant aeration and filtering, even if it is a 2 gal.

7- I would suggest you post futher topics like this one on Tropical fish Emergencies, or Beginner Questions, as they are usually read and answered faster, and are more oriented towards solving these problems

:hi: to the forums! Hope we can help!

8- Watch your fish, we all learn a great deal from them!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back