Guppy turning aggressive - should I remove?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JCW_1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ever since my female guppy became pregnant the male has turned aggressive towards the purple tetra in my tank. It appears he is becoming territorial and protecting the female. At present he is charging tetra away and no major incident yet. Should I remove him from tank before serious incident, or will this blow over? Previously he got on well with the purple tetra, but his behaviour has changed, which I presume is due to pregnant female.

How many tetras do you have in the tank? how big is the tank?
he may think the tetra will eat his children so he is trying to defend his wife before they are born.

the tetra may be annoying the fish, because they need 10 or more in a group to be comfortable

12 tetra - and they are not annoying the guppy.
The male guppy swam as part of the tetra shoal until the female became pregnant and they have always got on. I think he is protecting the female,
Do you know if aggression passes when female gives birth, or will aggression increase to protect fry? I understood guppy are not maternal.

Male livebearers don't protect pregnant females, and they don't protect their fry either - they are more likely to eat them.

It's possibly that the female guppy is rejecting his advances so he's now attempting to mate with other fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back