guppy (strange behavior) *Great news UPDATED12:58

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Then I wouldn't treat. Some of those will wipe out some of your beneficial bacteria, and mess with your water parameters. So, I would not do it unless any fish start exhibiting signs. :)

don't worry about your fry getting enough food, they will! and yes it is a good idea to put a panytho over the filter intake so fry cant get sucked up

as for antibacterial, you need to be careful with fry - using meds and the likes can lead to deformities or future health issues (it is similar to dosing a young kid with antibiotics - they eventually become immune or something like that from what i've heard - or their body depends on the meds instead of the immune system to fight disease)...you want to avoid using anything out of the ordinary in a fry tank - try isolating the fish in question as suggested

Okay, thankyou.

Listen to this crock of bull****!

I went to an LFS (the ones that were rude about bio-spira) and I asked him for antibacterials.

He asked me what I was treating, and I told him and he said, "Columnaris, that's a fungus caused by carbonated hardness too low (or high can't remember). In order to catch a fungus, your pH has to be slightly acidic, so check pH and raise it."

He then went on to say, "Yes I have antibacterials, but you don't need 'em." and then walked off!

He refused to sell me them! He's VERY misguided! I swear i'll never go there again!

O btw, the pH is 7.4!!! Which is slightly basic!

What a dumb***!

Annastasia said:
Then I wouldn't treat. Some of those will wipe out some of your beneficial bacteria, and mess with your water parameters. So, I would not do it unless any fish start exhibiting signs.  :)
okie dokie!

BTW: the fish are doin' great so far!

EDIT: Will a breeder net's net if I tie it over the intake work better, or as good? I've heard that pantyhose affect filtering badly.

(Don't know why...)

Also did you see the site about the flakes?

Yes, I saw the site. I chose to not say anything, as I really don't like some of the info on there. But hey.

Glad to hear the fish are doing well. :)

A breeder net could work....But I have always heard good things about Pantyhose (Is it just me, or does that word always crack you up? :p ). Up to you though.

The guy at the fish store does not sound very well informed. Columnaris is caused by (I quote) "Various organisms. Positive diagnosis not possible outside of lab culture & microscopy (not practical for most hobbyists)."

I read that it was a gram negative "rod" bacteria on about 4-5 sites last night, so I KNOW he was wrong! And I can't believe he refused a sale!

A breeder net could work....But I have always heard good things about Pantyhose (Is it just me, or does that word always crack you up?  ). Up to you though. 

I don't know what you mean?!?! WHat did you mean by "(Is it just me, or does that word always crack you up? ). "

:stupid:

EDIT: durrrr, durrrr! You were using that "you" as "one" (Is it just me or does that word always crack "one" up) not in direct reference to me!

EDIT 2: I jus' noiced, SOMEONE didn't change their avatar today :lol: :rofl: :p

I'm lost. :blink:

I said a Breeder net could work...as could a pantyhose. Basically, it's up to you which one you use....

i thought you thought I thought the panty hose idea was funny, and I didn't understand how you got that I laughed at that Idea.

Then it clicked that you said, Is it just me or does that word crack everybody else up as well.

Misunderstanding :)

Ah...okies. Was a little lost there earlier. I tend to be a bit random...so if it ever confuses you, just tell me,and I'll try to sort it out. :)

the reason people say pantyhose can be inefficient is bc they have such small openings - it tends to get clogged with debris quickly and slows down the flow of the filter...a breeding net has slightly larger openings so should work better

otay! Well, mommy guppy is being a little standoffish now (likes to be in the plants or forest as I like to call it)!! I know it's not time for her to give birth, could she just be tired from all the harassment? Or just a little tuckered from being 'with child'

Oh no! don't tell me she could be goin' into premature labor :-( not da babies!

well, mom's not given birth, so I guess that's a great sign. She's actin' okay! SHe could have been feeling bad due to ammonia spike. Finally, it has caught up, and we're begining cycle. I asked my LFS to order some bio spira, so the fish shouldn't be in ammonia for 2 long.

Is it normal for the gravid to change shapes during pregnancy? Today when I looked, it was still there but it appeared as if it had been flatened a little. Could she have given birth to one or two fry???

EDIT: A while after the above post:
TENGO DOS BEBES!!!!!! Translation - I have 2 babies!!! I'm so happy!! There are more to come still!!!

Most reactions

Back