Guppy Sitting And Hiding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Miresiti

Reaction score
Last question. I don't know if she is ill or about to drop. I am doubting the dropping thing because only her back is squared and she is tiny compared to my massive female. She is pretty much pooing non-stop. I went and got some live daphnia and fed the whole tank and made sure she definitely ate some and about 6 hours later she is still sitting on the bottom with her head angled down. Oh, and she suddenly had a hole in her tail overnight, not ripped or anything just a hole. Any ideas what it could be?
P.S. I just had my water checked today and everything is spot on and all my other fish seem fine.

Even though you have good chemistry, try a large water change anyway. Since we only seem to test the nitrogen cycle, we often miss the signals from other chemicals. A huge water change is often the cure for things that should not require any action, based on our tests. I know it is counter-intuitive but a water change, when nothing is wrong, is often a quick cure.

Alright I will try that. Thank you for the advice.

It sounds like this fish needs more than just a water change.

Give it a chance Snazy. You might be surprised at how often that is just the trick. I have had whole tanks of fish that looked like they were all going to die soon, yes they looked that bad. When I did a 90% water change and changed their feeding regime, the remaining fish actually repopulated my tank. Sometimes I must take drastic actions since some of my fish cannot be easily replaced. In this case I was dealing with X. captivus - Jesus Maria, which you will never find in your LFS. Next week I am going to sell some of my X. captivus at a nearby club auction.

Give it a chance Snazy. You might be surprised at how often that is just the trick. I have had whole tanks of fish that looked like they were all going to die soon, yes they looked that bad. When I did a 90% water change and changed their feeding regime, the remaining fish actually repopulated my tank. Sometimes I must take drastic actions since some of my fish cannot be easily replaced. In this case I was dealing with X. captivus - #92### Maria, which you will never find in your LFS. Next week I am going to sell some of my X. captivus at a nearby club auction.

This is good to know. I actually hate medicating and go with water changes myself considering that most of the times it happened to me I had no idea what they were sick from. But sometimes all you can do is gain time in order to figure out what the disease is.

P.S. How do you know how to change the feeding regime?

I had been feeding them a new food for about 2 months when I had the trouble, I tried changing it because I really did not know what was wrong and thought diet might be involved.

She died this morning even with the water change. Thank you very much for the advice.

It is alright. Circle of life!! I woke up the next morning to 11 fry swimming around in the plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back