Guppy Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

smyth19

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Been breeding guppy's for quite a few years now, and there is always something new with them!!! over the time i've keep them they have had 100's+ babies!!

The way i no one of my fish is pregnant and ready to have young is that they are quite fat square shaped and have a dark stomach!!

The question im asking is with this famale guppy i have which has had young before is very large (very) in the stomach area but what confusses me is that she is not dark one bit in her stomach!!! so what i mean is all sighs of being pragnant but her belly is not black one bit!!

Any ideas??

Most greatful Joe!!

I had the same question a while back when I got a new fish...mine had dropsy. Hard to say, though...hopefully not the case.

How about the other fish? Are they bloated out, too?

The fish has me confussed me, haven't a clue if it is pregnant or ready to drop!! i thought thay have to have really dark stomachs to be pragnant well in my experence!!

Is this true?

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/fish_problems/main.html

Somebody sent me this link about dropsy and it helped me. If you go to google.com and search "fish disese dropsy" you get a lot of results, too.

Also, on this website, the Fish Forum you can do a search for terms in postings...I did that by entering "Dropsy" and you can read up on other peoples' experience and questions. The search box is at the bottom of the livebearer page. Hope this is helpful, and don't panic...she may be pregnant.
Just last night my suspected dropsy fish slimmed right down and had 20 babies.

You never know. >)

Fish with dropsy usually have trouble swimming though. Sometimes pregnant fish don't get as dark a gravid spot. Mine turns orange instead of black in the gravid spot. Some I have had are so dark that its hard to tell where the gravid spot is.

is it no the sign that its ready to get pregnant? while not actually beign pregnant

Hi!! This drove me crazy when I first got my guppy because she didn't have a gravid spot and was soooooo big. Well, it's possible they don't all get it. My fish never gets one and she has babies about every 30 days and a lot of them!!!
Her spot gets gold that's it. So, she could be. Leah

Most reactions

Back