Guppy Pooping out of chest?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Peepers Mom

Reaction score
Question regarding a weird thing happening to female (Albino Blue Topaz) guppy:
I have a quarantined mail-order guppy that I’ve been having problems with for weeks. I have done antibiotic rounds (they had come sick and have been dying; 3 rounds from same dealer to replace them) and thought I had finally pin-pointed it down to possible worms, which I had not treated for (just prazi). I have ordered some levamisole and will do that in a few days.
This girl started out fat (looking pg) but has since gotten slim (her sister is skinny too), but otherwise doing OK. I would like to breed both of them if they get healthy enough to do that.
She has a small pink spot with some raised scales on her chest (hence the antibiotics). She developed that after I've had her for a couple of weeks; the one thing I hadn't done was to worm them after I got them.
A couple of days ago I noticed ‘something’ coming out of the pink area in her chest – thought it may have been a worm that had worked its way out of her body cavity. I took a video of this ‘worm’ that broke off into segments and put it under the microscope...... not a worm, looks like poop complete with tube that breaks apart and dissolving frayed ends. No identifiable worm-like parts to it at all.
(She’s also got a wonky mouth, came that way, but eats good – so I’m also wondering some sort of defect that's allowing this to happen?)
Any ideas from pros? Looks worm-like coming out, but on the tank bottom and under the microscope looks like poop without any sort of defining worm-like parts. Not red, light brownish white.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Guppy Poop Side 2.JPG
    Guppy Poop Side 2.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Guppy Poop Side 1.JPG
    Guppy Poop Side 1.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 86
Welcome to TFF

Anchor worm, maybe? @Colin_T , have a look

Welcome to TFF

Anchor worm, maybe? @Colin_T , have a look

I've wondered about that, but I don't see anything attached, and the 'parts' that come out of her come out in short pieces and fall to the bottom of the tank. I've see it happen about half a dozen times now in the last couple of days, once I knew to watch for it. Doesn't look like anything wormlike under the microscope. Truly bizarre! She is acting fine otherwise... 8-0

Just so y'all know - I know the difference between a 'hole under the left pectoral fin and an anus', lol! This is definitely NOT from her anus - it's the little brownish white thingie in the photos that's oozing out right in her chest area, underneath the left pec fin, just behind and below her left gill plate. It comes in batches - sometimes it's not there, but then if you watch long enough you can see it oozing out again. I can send a video if anybody knows if that will work and upload....
She's acting totally fine otherwise~
Side note - I have not ever seen her poop in the normal way; still not sure if that is what it is, but that's the only thing I can come up with so far! Love any feedback, and thanks!
Worm meds coming today.... yay!

Just an update: I expected this, but it happened really quick. I had to put the little blue girl down yesterday morning, she was 3/4 the way there already. She had started to develop pink spots all over her abdomen, so whatever was awry on the inside was taking its toll. Too bad, faults or not, she was really pretty.
I'm going to let the seller know, as I feel they should hear the feedback from their customers when things are obviously not as they should be with their livestock. I went through 6 of their fish, all coming in either doa or sick. Then, if I can find any of these beauties that have been raised stateside, I'll try again later.
Thank you all who chimed in, and just for interest sake, if anybody has any clue what may have happened, I'd still like to learn from this!

I think you were dealing with a bad bloodline. They could've been severe inbred specimens. The cause should be found at the breeder's place. So, you probably couldn't have helped those guppies anyways. And yes, if I were you I would notify the breeder or shop where you've purchased them from. For it doesn't look like an illness that has been created at your place. For pooping out of the chest instead out of the anus and a deformed mouth, seems more like deformities as a result of severe inbreeding to me.
And a whitish poop, does refer to internal worms most of the times. But that would still not explain why it comes out at the wrong part of the body.

I think you were dealing with a bad bloodline. They could've been severe inbred specimens. The cause should be found at the breeder's place. So, you probably couldn't have helped those guppies anyways. And yes, if I were you I would notify the breeder or shop where you've purchased them from. For it doesn't look like an illness that has been created at your place. For pooping out of the chest instead out of the anus and a deformed mouth, seems more like deformities as a result of severe inbreeding to me.
And a whitish poop, does refer to internal worms most of the times. But that would still not explain why it comes out at the wrong part of the body.
Thank you! I think you may be correct - will never know, but having back-to-back problems from the same supplier and I know that they did import their fish from overseas because I had to wait for 'more shipments' after each problem. I haven't had problems with any of the ones I've raised (hobbyist). I won't be going back to them, but will still be on the hunt for healthy US ones. I suspected more than one problem would pop up with this gal when I realized her mouth was deformed. Too bad, they are beautiful fish!
I never actually saw any poop coming out of the anus the 6 or so weeks I had her - she came 'fat' (hoping for babies), and developed this and got skinny. Could have been caused by something else, but still they were all (9 fish, 3 different times) unhealthy.
Thank you for your reply!

Question regarding a weird thing happening to female (Albino Blue Topaz) guppy:
I have a quarantined mail-order guppy that I’ve been having problems with for weeks. I have done antibiotic rounds (they had come sick and have been dying; 3 rounds from same dealer to replace them) and thought I had finally pin-pointed it down to possible worms, which I had not treated for (just prazi). I have ordered some levamisole and will do that in a few days.
This girl started out fat (looking pg) but has since gotten slim (her sister is skinny too), but otherwise doing OK. I would like to breed both of them if they get healthy enough to do that.
She has a small pink spot with some raised scales on her chest (hence the antibiotics). She developed that after I've had her for a couple of weeks; the one thing I hadn't done was to worm them after I got them.
A couple of days ago I noticed ‘something’ coming out of the pink area in her chest – thought it may have been a worm that had worked its way out of her body cavity. I took a video of this ‘worm’ that broke off into segments and put it under the microscope...... not a worm, looks like poop complete with tube that breaks apart and dissolving frayed ends. No identifiable worm-like parts to it at all.
(She’s also got a wonky mouth, came that way, but eats good – so I’m also wondering some sort of defect that's allowing this to happen?)
Any ideas from pros? Looks worm-like coming out, but on the tank bottom and under the microscope looks like poop without any sort of defining worm-like parts. Not red, light brownish white.
Thanks!
I didn’t think I was going to get any results by searching “guppy pooping out of chest”, super surprised I’m not the only one this has happened to. I have a male Moscow blue that I got about 3 weeks ago. Two days ago I noticed his right fin wasn’t working to well and there was a bump on the underside of it. I checked later that evening and something had popped though! I was worried it was a worm but, checked later and it was gone, the next day though, it was back and looked like poop strings. I hope he survives. He’s still eating although not very active with the other guppies.

Oh, wow..... Interesting! But sad. I thought I would be the only one and didn't really get any responses that could tell me what might be going on! I'm glad you found this!
I have to say that my girl acted fine after I received her and for a couple of weeks afterwards, while I figured out what was going on - then unfortunately she finally just up and died. I had her on antibiotics to attempt to ward off any infections, but my guess is that whatever happened, it was too much of an insult to ever heal and survive.
I'm guessing that she had some kind of rupture in her digestive system that opened up to the outside, whether from a parasite or from a defect, and there was no way to know (short of a guppy autopsy I suppose).
She was an Albino Blue Topaz, and my guess is that it could have even been a defect/weak area due to inbreeding.
My girl also had it coming out from under her front fin as well, and also started off with a little pink bump, then the 'stuff' started oozing out. I looked at the 'poop' under a microscope and it wasn't parasitic, definitely poop or undigested food; so I think that somewhere along her digestive tract in that area it ruptured through. She acted fine for quite a while, but in the end it was just too much.
I sure hope your guy does better -- Please let me and guppydom know how he does and what happens, and especially if he heals up. Keep his water good, perhaps antibiotics if you think that would help at least for a while, just help keep infections at bay for a while if not already there. Good luck!!!

Please don't use antibiotics unless they are truly needed. People are dying due to the mis-use of antibiotics causing antibiotic resistant bacteria, and this sort of willy nilly use of antibiotics to save inbred, deformed fish is not helping.

Be responsible aquarists, please.

No, not willy nilly, but can be helpful if needed. That should be decided per case, not in every case, and if you know what you're doing. Very aware of antibiotic resistance issues.
I would like to know how he does regardless.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back