Guppy/platy Fry Growth?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppi32011

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i have 7 platy fry and 3 guppy fry. The guppies are about 2 months old, the platys about 1 month. They have definetly grew but they are still too small to go into main tank. They have been in breeder nets since day 1 will they still grow to adult size? Oh, also i can't move them into a small grow out tank.

I have just moved them to a filterless and heaterless plastic bowl. I will change water every day it may help them grow.

They will grow fine in a tiny net as long as their water is kept pristine and they are well fed. Feeding well without ruining the water quality is the challenge that makes separate grow out tanks so popular.

Thanks for the reply, i'm changing water regularly and feeding 3-4 times a day.

hello guppi32011

i have just let my guppy fry live in the main tank without a birthing chamber or nursery and they are fine.
as long as you have weeds for them to hide in they can just swim into them when they are endangered.
it has been 2-3 weeks now and my little fry are no longer chased my the bigger fish so they just swim around like the others.
however i dont have fish bigger than my guppy adults.
the fry are only about 8-10mm long.
i think that keeping fry in a breeder net for that that long is a bit cruel unless you have big fish that would put them in danger, they need space.

You are partly right jellychris. Many fry will survive if there are lots of plants to hide in, but few people have enough plants to really be effective at saving most fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back