Guppy or something I think its called

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

blueliquid

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section or anything, but hopefully someone can help. I must also apologise for my lack of fishy knowledge!

My sister recently bought some fish for her tank, three in total. Two of them are of one breed, and one is a Guppy. Breed X has one female and one male, we are not sure about the Guppy. They were bought from a a fish supplier, so one would presume that the sales guy would know what he was talking about, but maybe he was wrong and you guys can help us out. The tank is approximatly 50cm x 25cm x 40cm, and is currently heated at 26*C. The fish are currently being fed on standard floating flakes.

The problem is that the Guppy is almost permenantly hiding in the corner near the filter, and when food is put into the tank, he sometimes goes to feed, but usually spits it back out again.

If it makes any difference we are in the UK.

Is there anything major we are doing wrong? The fish have only been in the tank a couple of days, so from reading a few of the posts on this forum it could be down to stress. The tank has been filtered/heated for atleast a few months prior to fish being added.

OK, So if anyone can help that would be great, and thanks in advance.

oooops, I forgot to add that one of the fish from breed X has been chasing the guppy around the tank occasionaly, but they seemed to have called a ceasfire last night when they were swimming round the tank together quite happily.

Cheers,

Keith.

I think it is probably stress. Are there lots of plants for him to hide behind?

Did you cycle your tank before adding the fish? Your parameters should not be too high since there are only three fish in your tank, but see if you can have them measured.

Sorry I can't help more. If I know the water param's it's easier to try and figure out what's wrong.

Give the guppy a while longer, i agree with the above reply.

You could also try getting a few more guppies for comfort and security of the reject :) one.

Separate the guppy if the chasing/fighting gets any worse.

Thanks for your help!

I think my sister is going to get another couple of guppies (ratio of 2F 1M) if we can figure out what sex the original guppy is.

Getting the water tested by the shop the fish were bought from, but will most likely get some home testing stuff for regular cheacking.

Cheers,

Keith.

Most reactions

Back