Guppy Giving Birth - Please Help!

johnseanpaul

New Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Today I noticed my very pregnant guppy giving all the signs that she was ready to drop. I placed her into my birth tank very carefully to eliminate stress and left her for an hour. She was looking ready to drop at any minute. passing fluid, yellow stuff and even 3 yellow see through balls. Not sure what this is im just guessing female guppies water breaks before giving birth... not to sure, but i watched her for 30 minutes and she was looking ever so close to dropping, thing is i had to go work for 6 hours.

Just got hope expecting babies but there Isn't any!!!! I have well planted the tank, gave her plenty of food and she now seems like she might be holding it in.

any help... whats the delays for. Just to let you know it was 5pm when i left and the tank light was on and doesnt go off till midnight. (if that effects anything>?)



many thanks

john

PLEASE HELP
 
not sure about the light (i once had guppies give birth and that was during the night), but if you think the guppy is holding them in, that is very possible; the females actually hold the young in if they feel SOMETHING about the environment does not meet their standards. that can be the PH, the salinity, hardness, and well of course the nitrates and ammonia levels.
 
Sounds like your stressing out there, Relax, once she feels secure (possibly after lights out) she'll let her ofspring go. I'm not a great lover of breeding traps persay, I feel it causes more stress to the fish than they're worth. best given own small tank and divide it with 2 pieces of glass in a "V" shape with the "V" almost touching (big enough for the fry to escape).
Regards
BigC
 
thank you for replies.. it's really bizzare as she STILL hasn't dropped yet, LOL. I have put her back into the main tank as she seems alot more happier there. But after what i witnessed yesterday i swear she was ready and seconds from giving birth., now i bet ya she will do it when im at bloody work!

keep u informed...


ps,

I havnt checked the hardness etc as i do not have a kit and dont get paid till next week.. My PH level however is fine.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top