guppy fry growth rate

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Stryker

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Being as I'm watching this batch of fry so closely I've noticed something that has amazed me. Last night at around 11pm I had ten fry that all looked like slithers of glass with only their spine and black dot eyes making them noticable. They are around 3mm in length and 1mm across.

This morning at 7am I checked on them, 9 of them look the same except 1 of them is massive!!! around 5mm in length, 2mm across, is more opaque and it has propper albeit small fish-like eyes! totally amazing, all that growth in 8 hours?!?!?!?!?!?

My question is do they really grow that fast? and also if so, why have the other fry not grown so much?

I've been feeding them liquid fry as per instructions on the bottle. I've got this batch in their own 17 litre tank which is crystal clean so they are dependant on the food.

Interesting development, My guppy fry from first preg mom were all premature, they must of been as they are only a fraction the size of the others shown in the forum here.....

The other preg mom delivered just 1 fry that I consider normal as compared to the others I've seen on this forum. The rest of the delivered contents was just "gunk".

Interesting thing is they are all still alive and feeding on the liquid fry food..... be interesting if the premature ones survive.

I've also read that a guppy's first ever batch of young can often be a small batch or small young as mine are.

All interesting stuff eh?

how do I tell when mine is going to have little fry?

Sorry for jacking your thread.

The preggnant guppy may (and I say may) go off its food a little around the birth (12 hours either side) and will probably move around a lot less too and may hang out near the bottom of the tank.

In appearance its gravid spot will be black from top to bottom from a side view perspective and the fish will look pretty swollen, easily noticed from front or side.

But just to proove the norm is not allways followed my preg guppys didnt seem to slow down too much and didnt do much hiding amongst the plants when they started delivery of fry.

Most reactions

Back