Guppy fry death.

M

mandannes

:( I put my guppy in the breeding tank and watched her have over 24 guppys, then i let her out and she`s doing fine, but when i woke up this morning they were all dead :no:
Watching them being born was the best experience of my life. Does anyone know why this hapened or does this kinda thing happen.

Was the tank cycled? What are the water parameters? When did you put her in? What was the temp? Give us any info you can because it'd help us help you.

Sorry about what happened. i've lost some fry, but never the entire batch...

the temp is wot it shoould be. she wasnt in the breeding tank i fished the babys into the breeding tank after i thought she had finished.And wot do u mean cycled and parameters?? this is all new to me

Cycling is:

“A newly started aquarium will first experience a dramatic rise in NH3—(ammonia) as a byproduct of biological processes—fish urine, fecal materials, and decaying plant matter. Ammonia is a poisonous compound in higher concentrations. This compound will rise to toxic or near-toxic levels before appropriate numbers of ammonia-utilizing (consuming) bacteria have developed. After this time, with a relatively undisturbed filter, these levels should be minimal. A byproduct of these nitrifying bacteria is the production of NO2—(nitrite). NO2—is a poisonous compound to fish and it will also rise to toxic or near-toxic levels until a second group of bacteria that are nitrite-utilizing (consuming) develop suitable numbers. Their byproduct is the relatively benign NO3—(nitrate), which can be removed with regular water changes. Continual high levels of nitrate can be detrimental to the long-term health of your fish, which is the main reason for partial water changes on a regular basis. This whole bacterial growth process and what effect it has on the fish is often referred to as “New Tank Syndrome.”

Fairfield, Terry. A Commonsense Guide to Fish Health. New York: Barron’s, 2000.

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/Cycling.html

http://www.tetra-fish.com/aquademics/worksheet2.html

Most reactions

Back