Guppy Food

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

matthew12098

Reaction score
Is it ok to feed guppies Mosquito Larvae/Chopped Earth Worms? Or is it better to feed them brine shrimp/blood woms. I'd like to feed them food that is extremely rich in nutrients to hopefully produce a decent amount of fry.

Mozzie larvae, earthworms, brineshrimp, daphnia and prawn are all suitable additions to their diet. They should have a good quality flake food too, but crumble it up a bit so they can eat it.

Don't bother with frozen bloodworms because some brands can cause internal problems to some fish.

Mozzie larvae, earthworms, brineshrimp, daphnia and prawn are all suitable additions to their diet. They should have a good quality flake food too, but crumble it up a bit so they can eat it.

Don't bother with frozen bloodworms because some brands can cause internal problems to some fish.
Awesome,

How often should I feed them live food compared to flake food?

My breeding stock (fish being prepared for breeding, or fish that were breeding) and baby fish were fed 3-5 times per day.
I gave them dry food first (flake or pellets).
After they ate the dry food I gave them marine mix, which consisted of prawn, fish & squid that was blended up. I also used marine green mix, which had the same ingredients and marine algae mixed in.
After the marine mix I gave them frozen bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp or daphnia. I don't use frozen bloodworms anymore but this is what I used to feed my fish.
After they had eaten the above foods, I would put in some live daphnia, mozzie larvae or brineshrimp.

This feeding regime gave them all a good variety of food and the fish were pretty full by the time the live food was added. The live food would then swim around the tank for a few hours while the fish picked them off.

In the morning if I was running late for work, I would just use dry food and then after work I would do the above feeding regime.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back