guppy dying in childbirth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stacey falls

Reaction score
my very pregnant guppy has been in labor since yesterday. i saw her down in my rocks, breathing hard. today she is dilated, and i can see the fry stuck in her birth canal, and she seems to be dying. is there anything i can do to either save her or the fry?

remove the one that stuck as soon as possible the way to remove it is with a pair of tweezers hopefully she will survive

yes I have removed fry that become stuck I remove the fish from tank keep the net and fish wet as possible
i have also found when left with stuck fry for upto 24-hours female will usually die

yikes! okay, so my colleague said he has done that with fish before, and he was going to help me, but as he reached in their with forceps he realized it wasn't fry stuck in her dilated vent. she actually had a hole in her belly and her guts were poking out. aughhh!! what happened to her? i was sure she was having babies the way she was sunk down in the gravel, hiding in my plants. but it turns out she had a major wound with her organs pushing out!! what would cause that?! my colleague thinks she is getting beaten up, but how would another fish bite her belly? is it possible it is some disease or parasite? how gruesome and awful!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back