The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

loraxchick

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
hi all,
just wondering, other than the fancy tails, what is the difference between fancy guppies and those sold as feeders? i have some feeder guppies and they are rather pretty and colorful, although lacking the colorful flowing tail fins that i see on those labeled "fancy" guppies. just curious.
thanks.

fancy guppies - mainly line bred, hardier and more resilliant to disease.
feeder guppies - inbreds, that are weak and arent very hardy

feeder guppies are not inbredas and weaker

Their in fact usually stronger and hardier then fancy guppies, it's only coz they have less colour and don't sell so well in shops

feeder guppies are not inbredas and weaker

Their in fact usually stronger and hardier then fancy guppies, it's only coz they have less colour and don't sell so well in shops

that's sad...i think mine are quite pretty and actually would opt for them again over fancy. never had guppies before and im quite fond of them.
thnks.

Feeder guppies are through backs to the wild type and if a tank these will out compete fancy guppies and your end up with more and more as there gene's are more diverse than fancies.

This is why people reject them.

I actually agree with LoraxChick on which look better. I am not crazy about the highly developed and specialized look that most fancy guppies get. I like my wild type endlers and wish that the guppies with similar appearance had not been bred almost out of existence by the guppy fanciers. Guppy breeders have done amazing things to change the look of their fish over the last 55 years but I am not sure that it is for the better.

wild type guppies and endler look wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy better then the bred ones, not only do the bred ones look too weird, but the weight of thier tails bends thier spines in a crippling way, one day all our guppies will have spines bent in l shapes that can't even swim to get food :angry:

i realize that the "fancies" are probably very very inbred to achieve the desired "look" of each type. im very very glad that i got some "feeders" to add to my tanks instead of the "fancy" ones which, quite honestly, all look the same except for the coloration. every single guppy i got yesterday is different to the point where i can recognize the individuals. there is QUITE a difference between each one. and im 99.9999% certain that the two females that i got are pretty pregnant. already square. so in a week, give or take, im expecting some fry! :shout:
thanks for the input everyone!!!!!
cheers.

a bunch. looks like i have two pretty pregnant females and two small fry. they are ____ this big and came in with the lot. i know i can expect a lot of fry with guppies, but i definitely have a place for them to go.

well, you should have more females than males, i would say two females for every male, and you will need to have lots of plants for the fry to hide in or the adults will eat them, also, you might want slow down the intake on your filter cause it might suck up the fry :unsure:

well, you should have more females than males, i would say two females for every male, and you will need to have lots of plants for the fry to hide in or the adults will eat them, also, you might want slow down the intake on your filter cause it might suck up the fry :unsure:

in one tank i have two females, three males and two unsexed fry. in the other tank there are two females and five males. the 2/3 tank with the fry has a sponge filter and it is my planted tank. not too worried about the fry in there. if any should come about in the other tank, it has high flow and would lose the fry. if i were to see that the females were heavily pregnant, id take them out an put them in the planted tank. thanks for the info.

well, the thing is, if you have more males than females, the males will likely bully the females untill they're are stressed and become weak and vulnerable to disease

i see. ill deof keep an eye on that then...i do have a place to separate out the males if need be. there is lots of cover in the one tank but i surely will keep a watch over them....THANKS!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back