Guppy Breeding

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ozric

Reaction score
Hello all

How can you tell if your guppys are mating as im new to fish keeping?...
Also what is the dark black spot on the rear underside of a female guppy as the males dont have this.

Thanks Ozric

You can tell when guppies are mating when the male sticks his gonopodium (pointed anal fin) in the female. The dark spot where fry are developing is called the gravid spot.

LOL at last post :rofl:

To make sure you get some baby guppies either make sure that the tank is heavliy planted or you could use a floating breeding trap or the best method is to remove the female into a small tank with loads of plants in this way you will save a lot of the fry and then have somewhere to raise them

Thanks for your quick replys

I only brought them 2 days ago so they must have already been pregnant when i brought them. Thanks again you have all been very helpfull

By the way i brought all 3 two days ago and they all have the gravid spot they must be underwater rabbits :D

Guppys are also known by the name Millions fish you will soon find out why !!!!!!!

Good luck and welcome to the hobby

Hehe, take them to the store and ask what you can swap them for, i bred dwarf hamsters the once, i swapped six males and two females for 5 bags of hamsters food two bags of gerbil food and a big bag of chinchilla sand :D i was so proud lol... maybe the shop could do you a deal like that coz other wise, think of the profit they are making out of your fishies hard work :p

Do guppys have all of their fry at once or do they have them over several days? I found 2 fry today and thats all. Also I dont know which of my 3 Female guppys they come from. Hard to tell.

Thanks Ozric

ps Which part of the day or night do they tend to give birth?

ususally at night, have 10 or so and then have a rest, can take a day or two to have all of them, but if you have only 2 then some must have been eaten I think.

Sorry to overrule you fishyfeet, but the earlier post you made about 40 fry from one guppy is only the average and they can have over 100 at times!

I take it that you were reffering to the average when you said that though. ;)

Most reactions

Back