Guppies / mollies

Tippy

Reaction score
I have a fairly established tank. The inhabitants of my tank are as follows:-

5 Zebra Danios
4 neon tetras
1 glowlight (accidentally netted by my lfs)
3 peppered corys (which have such characters !) :*
Reasonably well planted with a mixture of most live and a couple of "fake" plants and a couple of peices of bog wood which has created a couple of little caves.

My readings are spot on however I live in a fairly hard water region.

I am wanting to add a littel colour/zing in my tank with may be a few guppies or some mollies. I have read the forums but am not particularly wanting to get something that will be fin nipped by my other inhabitants.

Any suggestions for live bearers which are fairly hardy and will get on with my gang ?

Thanxs - Tippy

:fish: :fish: :fish:

Well I recently had one of my male guppies tails get eatten by a pair of diamond tetras, so I had to take them back to the lfs.

IMO Platties and Mollies don't tend to get nipped.

I agree: Platties or mollies would be great, but be careful about the species of molly you get as some are quite large when full grown. Don't forget that live bearers need a bit of salt in their tank. However, you can put a little less salt in than recommended so that salt intolerant species are happier.

I wouldnt worry about salt unless you plan to keep mollies...but as anna says they can get very big.

One point worth noting is that neons prefer fairly acidic water, wheras livebearers preffer it alkaline.

I agree, platties or mollies won't get nipped, as will your guppies. I prefer mollies. I have three that live with two tetras, a black one and a pink one.

go with mollies or platys. (oh, and mollies don't necessarily need salt, mine are thriving without its). my mollies, and especially my platys, have survived new tank syndrome, stress, new fish, new plants, a newbie owning them. they're tough little suckers and they won't take any flak from other fish like fin nipping

ordinary mollies will do fine with out salt but i am not sure if they could take the acidic conditions neither coold platys! so my advice to u is stick with south american species ur be able to find some nice colourful sones if u look hard enuf ...... perhap more glowlights?? can't really have it on its own and also how big is ur tank!!! :thumbs:

mollys do awsome with out salt! i have 6 mollys and 1 female guppy and they all are doing fine with out salt water!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back